lion stealing all the food

ryan

I have a lionfish and a sfe that I feed off of a feeding stick. Im having a problem. Whenever I try to feed my sfe thats on the bottom of the tank my lionfish gets the food before I ever get it down to him. The lionfish knows the stick means its time to eat. The other day the lionfish ate way to much food and my sfe had to starve. I tried using a wooden spoon I use for mixing saltwater but the lionfish darts around it quickly and takes the food off the stick. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

liontamer

Feed the lion first, ait until it's lethargic (digesting) and then feed yer eel. Wat kinda lion is it may i ask?

ryan

Its a volitan. He does eat first, and wont stop. Thats what has me worried. My sfe I feed until its full (which is a bit of food). My lion cant handle that much. He stole enough the other day that his stomach was abnormally shaped. Im afraid its going to cause internal problems for my lion. He wont stop he will eat until he looked like a basketball if he could.

ryan

I purchased my feeding stick from the LFS. Its just a plastic rod about 18 inches long that curves at the bottom with a pointed end.

harlequin

I had this problem feeding my Sea Robin with a bunch of filefish in the water. Fast little buggers. Basically I learned to use two sticks, one for the food and one for crowd control. Funnily enough the robin got so used to the stick it would ignore the food at the bottom and swim up the stick to the surface. The files remained incorredgable as ever.
I just use thin wooden sticks I bought at HD and sharpened one end to stick thawed frozen food on. Think they cost me a buck.

ryan

Your not supposed to name fish stores other that saltwaterfish.com on this site. Those sticks cost about 2 dollars. A LFS stands for Local Fish Store. You should be able to get a feeding stick at most fish stores in your area.

harlequin

I think actually its only online websites you arent supposed to mention, LFSes are ok since they arent direct competition.

lion_crazz

Yeah, plenty of people name local fish stores' names on this board.
About the feeding stick, many fish stores sell them. I have even seen them sold at the evil chain stores too.