Lion will not eat.

atlfish

I have been starving my lion for a week, He still will not eat. I have tried dangling krill in front of him but that's not working. The only thing he will eat is live shrimp. How long will he go with ut eating!? I really hate to starve him like that. :help:

boalgf

Just keep giving him live shrimp while he gets used to the tank. Ghost shrimp are the cheapest. Once he gets used to the idea that your hand above the tank means food, start trying different things like silversides. Use a clear skewering rod to make it seem like the fish or shrimp is alive and moving.

I had the same problem with mine. The LFS was feeding him live fish and he didnt want anything else. The only thing I could get him to eat was raw shrimp soaked in some tank water with minced garlic (comes in a jar). He loved it and now he will eat anything including Formula II cubes when I get too lazy to peel shrimp.

superh

I got my dwarf zebra to eat a huge frozen silverside the other day for the first time. I just dropped the thawed silverside in the tank close to where the lion is and the current made him look somewhat alive and the lion ate him. After trying this more times it seems to be really effective. When he doesn't eat it the first time I use the tongs to pick it up off the sand bed and drop it again from the top.
I didn't have any luck using the skewers, tongs, etc. I really think these confuse/frighten the fish more than anything. Just my opinion....

boalgf

I didn't have any luck using the skewers, tongs, etc. I really think these confuse/frighten the fish more than anything. Just my opinion....
Tongs and non-clear skewers will frighten a fish. The skewer I use is clear and thin. The fish don't even notice it.

unleashed

there is an accual sw feeding shrimp that can be purchased I have a found this on the internet sorry can share more here but look around.i normally start my lions (if small out with mysis shrimp and phlankton add 2 drops garlic extreme.if the stick isnt working just use a frozen chunk of mysis add 2 drops garlic directly onto it hold frozen chuck in front of a powerhead as the shrimp thatws it will blow the mysis around giving it the appearence of life.brine is not your best choice it is a fw foo source not marine life and has little to no nutritional value without adding extra vit fortifications(gutt loading) to make it nutricous

fallnhorse

You've got to make it fun for him. Make it look real. Just like catching that trouphy bass. You need to fool him. The best way i found is to have a 2 feet piece of 30lbs fishing line. Take a piece of froze krill. Let it thaw. Stab it gentley with the line. It will stay on the line and is stiff enough to push it down infront of the fish. Then you need to jig it infront of him. Tease him. Make it look real. It's an art. Takes a little practice. He will rip it off the line like nothing cause just barely on the line. I found once they get the taste for kill they usually will be more than happy to eat it frozen. Also can try to let it soak in Garlic Guard first. I use this once in a while for a treat. It turns my lion fish and moray into Tyrone the Cracked addict. They about bust though the tank to get it.
It's a good treat for them once in a while. Make it a game. They like it just like play with the dog. Just more fun..lol :jumping:
Good luck. You can do it. Espicially if it's a voiltain.

hawthorn

When i first got my fuzzy dwarf lion fish he would only eat brine but IMO brine is useless so i soaked some mysis shrimp in garlic puree for a few hours and when i put it in the tank the lion went crazy for it and now it will eat anything i put in there.

atlfish

Originally Posted by fallnhorse
You've got to make it fun for him. Make it look real. Just like catching that trouphy bass. You need to fool him. The best way i found is to have a 2 feet piece of 30lbs fishing line. Take a piece of froze krill. Let it thaw. Stab it gentley with the line. It will stay on the line and is stiff enough to push it down infront of the fish. Then you need to jig it infront of him. Tease him. Make it look real. It's an art. Takes a little practice. He will rip it off the line like nothing cause just barely on the line. I found once they get the taste for kill they usually will be more than happy to eat it frozen. Also can try to let it soak in Garlic Guard first. I use this once in a while for a treat. It turns my lion fish and moray into Tyrone the Cracked addict. They about bust though the tank to get it.
It's a good treat for them once in a while. Make it a game. They like it just like play with the dog. Just more fun..lol :jumping:
Good luck. You can do it. Espicially if it's a voiltain.
What Garlic Guard and where do I get some.

unleashed

Originally Posted by AtlFish
garlic guard is a form of concentrated garlic extract simular to garlic extreme there are a few garlic products.these products are used as a high source of vit c to help boost the fishes imune system. another very good product used along with garlic is selcon its a vit suppliment can be used with the garlic presoak the foods in this before feeding
fallnhorse thats a very good idea with the fishing line.

atlfish

Originally Posted by AtlFish
DUDE! It Worked! It Worked!
I did just what you said. He ate this morning! Thanks! I was at the lFS yesterday and started to buy some garlic extreme but it was twenty bucks so i though I would try the fishing line first. Im glad I did!

boalgf

Be careful while using the fishing line. I've read several posts where the line got caught in the lions gills and got stuck there.

atlfish

Originally Posted by boalgf
Be careful while using the fishing line. I've read several posts where the line got caught in the lions gills and got stuck there.
thanks I will.

tony detroit

Live ghost shrimp or live feeder guppies every few days for a month or two.
After that start by trying thawed shrimp chunks, just like the shrimp you and I eat from the grocery store. Chop em up for the fish.