lion with lockjaw?

james brown

my lion's mouth won't close all the way. when feeding he can't attack the food the way he used to. i think it's hard for him to eat. has anyone had this problem with a lion before? any ideas?

fmarini

Hi:
i addressed this in the aggressive forum. Essentially more info please on what you are currently feeding this fish, how much, how often?
Anything else in the tank of merit?
frank

james brown

well...my water seems fine, ammonia is fine, nitrate is fine. i feed him frozen krill every second day. he lives with one other lion and a huma huma trigger and a undulated trigger. all tankmates look good. does he just need to tough it out or what?

fmarini

James:
My intial guess is what Terry mentioned, in that the lion had stuck something w/ its jaw, my second choice is a goiter or tumor. Unfortunately you described the situation which often causes one of the bigger problems for lionfish. A nutritional deficiency and freeze dried krill IMO is the biggest culprit.
Since its been a few days
Will your lion eat at all now?
if so, please go to the grocerry store and buy gulf shrimp w/ shell on, crabmeat, scallops, squid. Also get silversides, and any other marine fish. Rotate thru these foods and suplment w/ selcon and you might reduce this problem in the future.
I would give him somemore time and see if he turns around, but you really have to feed him much better. The whole tank for that matter
frank

james brown

Thanks man. So krill is bad...stupid fish guy told me to feed him krill. i'll try these foods and we'll see what happens.

fmarini

JB:
Its not that krill is bad, its that krill = potatochips. Freeze dried krill is easy and that why people recomend it, and worse people thinks since the lions like it(and they do) thats its a overall good food item(and it isn't). The freeze drying also removes alot of nutrients, so as i mentioned get better foods into this critter
frank