lionfish and aggressive help

joe123

My wife says she wants one in her new tank. 75g. does she need some rocks in the tank or not? she plans on getting all aggressive fish. I just finished setting up the tank and have only fine suger sized sand. any help with this?

aw2

Volitan Lions are not suitable for 75gal. tank. Unfortunately, most common "aggressive fish" are also not suitable for a 75gal. tank.
You could, however, get a Dwarf Lion species such as the Fuzzy, Zebra or try for a Radiata.

aw2

Volitans are not suitable because they'll outgrow the tank...they'll max out at close to 15".
Live rock is not a must, but it helps with the fish hiding places, as well as provides biological filtration for the tank.

ams153

also the antennata is a very brightly colored lion.. better even IMO than the volitans! id check them out!

S

surfinusa

you can house them in a 90/100 gallon tank i know it sucks

jr2857

Originally Posted by ams153
also the antennata is a very brightly colored lion.. better even IMO than the volitans! id check them out!
i like radiatas better
opinions opinions

ams153

Originally Posted by jr2857
i like radiatas better
opinions opinions

NOOOOOOOOO! lol deff not!

unleashed

Originally Posted by JOE123
What Are The Good Starter Fish For Aggressive Tanks? Puffers? Or ?????
depending on how old the tank is concidering your tank is fairly new your going to want to start off with hardy fish.personally I like damsels some get larger than others and they can hold there own in a somewhat aggresive tank for a while.and they come in a multitude of colorations. as for lions in a 75 yes it can be done in most information sites I have read even a vol lion can be housed ina 55 gal most of its life do I suggest it ? no chances of keeping any other fish with a lion in a 55 gal tank are slim to 0 even a 75 for long is going o be an issue keeping smaller fish with him.I would stick to species that max out at 5 inches at adulthood.such as hogfish,hawfish dwarf lions dottybacks ect if you larger species you will need a larger tank to cut back on the bioload.aggressive fish are not only big eaters they are pigs and water gets dirty very quickly the larger the species the larger the mess.also as an ell type that doesnt look like a snake try a green wolf eel(not an accual eel) do some research on your fav fish the one you fel you must have then find the compatible fish that can be housed in the size tank you have .you will get less deaths this way

joe123

Originally Posted by unleashed
depending on how old the tank is concidering your tank is fairly new your going to want to start off with hardy fish.personally I like damsels some get larger than others and they can hold there own in a somewhat aggresive tank for a while.and they come in a multitude of colorations. as for lions in a 75 yes it can be done in most information sites I have read even a vol lion can be housed ina 55 gal most of its life do I suggest it ? no chances of keeping any other fish with a lion in a 55 gal tank are slim to 0 even a 75 for long is going o be an issue keeping smaller fish with him.I would stick to species that max out at 5 inches at adulthood.such as hogfish,hawfish dwarf lions dottybacks ect if you larger species you will need a larger tank to cut back on the bioload.aggressive fish are not only big eaters they are pigs and water gets dirty very quickly the larger the species the larger the mess.also as an ell type that doesnt look like a snake try a green wolf eel(not an accual eel) do some research on your fav fish the one you fel you must have then find the compatible fish that can be housed in the size tank you have .you will get less deaths this way
thanks for the real thoughts. it seems you been through what I have. you want it and by golly your gonna get it and then well do I really need it. the thing is that my wife is the one who wants all these and it is her tank so her decision for the most part until I tell her not a good idea.

unleashed

your def right ive been there done that over and over lol.and when it comes to hubby(btw this is my hobby mind you lol) if he sees it and wants it he gets it even if it takes him a weeks waiting for once he has his mind set hes got to have it.or if he thinks i might want it.we set up a good amount of tanks last yr if he wanted a fish that wasnt compatible with the other fish I had he baught another tank to put it in .I was up to 8 tanks the smallest being a 55 gal sold all but my origanal 125 an set up a 300.now im back up to 4 tanks again lol(not including my fw tank)..oii does it ever end

joe123

I have a 75 and my wife bought a reef ready 75 and I want it but she said " no mine is better and your not gonna give me all your leftovers", so I am trying to get her to understand I need lights and I need this and I need that in order for me to acheive what my goal is. she wants all colorful things so I told her to get FW if she wants fake stuff. I think she has her mind made up that she is gonna get what she wants regardless of what I say all I can do is give her advise and get her water right and the rest is out of my hands. I know what you mean when is this going to be over lol...

unleashed

Originally Posted by JOE123
I have a 75 and my wife bought a reef ready 75 and I want it but she said " no mine is better and your not gonna give me all your leftovers", so I am trying to get her to understand I need lights and I need this and I need that in order for me to acheive what my goal is. she wants all colorful things so I told her to get FW if she wants fake stuff. I think she has her mind made up that she is gonna get what she wants regardless of what I say all I can do is give her advise and get her water right and the rest is out of my hands. I know what you mean when is this going to be over lol...
try this with your wife you now have 2 75gal tanks to set up right?his and hers even your statement of shes going to get what she wants is just what she needs to get.I can almost agree with her feeling about the leftovers if its not good enough for you why would she want it.but in the same thought she got a new tank with a few more frills that your seeking for our own.set a budget for the both of you equal amounts of spending for each of your tanks.you chose what you want and need for yours and visa versa equal time and spending.share you interest with one another you can try and guide her but if you try throwing it her face how you think it should be done and insist upon it being the way you feel it should be done its no longer her tank.if its bigger spending you need lights(large expence for reef tank) she needs LR for hers also another large expence compremize with these larger expencive items both tanks are equally important to both of you dont make it a competition.its more fun to work together and share the interest then to battle about whos going to have a better set up you have to remember no matter how you each decide to do it your both going to have to look at them daily.good luck with them both and happy reefing ps let her do some research on her own also lead her to the right places to learn from and also let her run with what shes learning who knows she may accually find a few things you may have missed in your research as they say 2 heads can be better than one