lionfish and crayfish

jakob

i haven't tried frozen shrimp yet but i will, what about live minnows. why not?
he is a volitan lionfish

jon321

Crayfish have thick shells which would probably be hard to digest. They also have means of defending themselves (aka, pincers). Minnows would be a bad idea too, fresh water fish should not be fed to salt water fish. Salt water mollies/guppies or ghost shrmp are probably the most suitable live foods, but a volitans wont be hard to train to eat frozen.
Jon

sepulatian

Originally Posted by jakob
i haven't tried frozen shrimp yet but i will, what about live minnows. why not?
he is a volitan lionfish
All freshwater fish tend to have a high fat content and are no good for saltwater fish. If he isn't eating frozen (btw defrost it) try some live ghost shrimp. As far as the creyfish goes, I said that I wouldn't try it. Maybe some others have done it, but they do have claws and an exoskeleton. I am not sure that it would be a good idea. Freshwater fish are definately a bad idea.
Ah Jon beat me to it

v-lioness

Pick up a feeder stick from your LFS, if it helps here are some of the foods I feed my lions. Wean this lion over to a variety of frozen foods (thawed) and soak them in vitamins. BTW I feed crayfish to my lions .....
Raw Shrimp
Crab
Mahi, Mahi
Shark Steaks
Crayfish
Ocean Perch
Squid
Octo
Smelt
Flounder
Red Snapper
Frozen Silversides
Frozen Sand Eels
Scallops
Kaye

lion_crazz

I would not feed the lion crayfish. Also, as mentioned, freshwater feeder fish will eventually kill the lionfish by giving him fatty liver disease.
As Jon mentioned, volitan lions are not hard to train to eat frozen foods.

wanabebell

yess i dont feed my lion cray fish but my zebra. tusk and pinktail love them so i feed them to those guys and i also take off the claws

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by wanabebell
yess i dont feed my lion cray fish but my zebra. tusk and pinktail love them so i feed them to those guys and i also take off the claws
Very good.
Yes, crayfish are not bad for saltwater fish, but I was just saying that for a lion, they might not be the best thing for them to be trying to eat and digest.

84chris

I used to feed my blue volitan minnows and goldfish all the time. He was about 8" long when i traded him in. Had him about a year. Awesome fish.

jon321

Originally Posted by 84chris
I used to feed my blue volitan minnows and goldfish all the time. He was about 8" long when i traded him in. Had him about a year. Awesome fish.
The problem is that 1 year is nothing for a fish that can live to 10, 20, mabe more years of age. You could survive for a few years eating nothing but chocolate bars, but you certainly wouldnt live into your 70's or 80's.
Jon