Lionfish and frogfish?

teds tank

im thinking about geting a 65g
i was looking at somthing a little more difficult and thought i could try a lion or a angler
could i try to put both in a 65g maby a painted/warty frog fish and an Antenneta Lionfish
i'm mostly worring about feeding would the lion eat all the food before i could get it to the frogfish? and if the frog would eat the lion
that aside what about a CUC ? would snails be safe? i would like to try and keep my hand out of the tank as much as possible with the lion
thanks for all the advise

pleasants9

ask cranberry, i think she is the one with the lions and anglers, but im pretty sure the both of them would be fine, might take a little bit to get them to eat frozen foods, but highly doubt they would bother one another. and my fuzzydwarf never bothered a single snail or hermit. Im pretty sure no shrimp is safe though

teds tank

thx that what i think but i have no experince with these fish so i'm curius about it
also what spicies of frogfish would be best for this tank

aw2x3

There are only two out comes of this pairing.
One...the Angler is going to eat the Lionfish.
Two...the Lionfish is going to eat the Angler.
End of story...no exit stage left.

sanchoy

If you get them both, make sure they are about the same size with the lion being slightly larger. Anglers are capable of eating preys their same size just so you know. Angler has to be target fed or else Lion will take all.

teds tank

a painted frogfish will grow to 8in in the wild
the lion can be aruond 9in (i don't know if thats with the fins or not)
i was planning to spot feed both. the lion would always be on one side of the tank and I would get some sort of feeding tool that could have the food right next to the frogs face
how hard is it to get frogs to eat?

cranberry

Peeps have looked into the "wild size" and lengths quoted on sites such as fishbase. The high end ranges are not the norm but more of the exception, but it has been seen. From looking at the data I believe they figured the norm is 60-65% of the larger number stated.
I have to say.... there's not much I would put with an angler in all honesty.

teds tank

I was thinking about this last night and i thought of two bad behavior problems
1:the frog fishes angler would attract the lion and ethier the lion would bit off the angler or the frog fish would try and defend to itself or think it could eat the lion
2:the frog would blend well so the lion might perch on the frog wich means the frog would move and scare the lion possible stinging it=(
what i wanted was somthing to put in the tank with a lion and frogs are so cool but i gusse i'll find somthing else
lion tank mates?
i was thinking
clarke/tomatoe or marron clownfish
yellow tang/flame angle: i want a fish that could keep the algea down but the flame might be to agressive. i was thinking a yelllow tang would be ok cuz of so few tank mates or is it a size thing?
cuban hogfish(would it try to clean the lion)/some other large fish that wouldn't be eaten

cranberry

Somehow I got confused. I thought we were talking about a volitan.
We're talking about an Antennata?

fmarini

Im not a fan of this pairing either.
Primarily becuase venom does not make the lionfish safe from the angler. Scott michael's has a story in his reef fish vol1 book where he witnessed a angler fish engulfing a lionfish. I've seen something similar (althou it was a rhinopias being eaten) so I'm in agreement w/ cranberry--
As alternatives, maybe 2 mid sized lions in the tank; P antennata and a dwarf fuzzy. If you want an angler tank- then its pretty much a species only tank

aw2x3

I've heard, a few occasions, of Frogfish eating Lions.
On one, occasion, when I lived in Chicago, I saw a cheap Frog eat a Fu Manchu, that was considerably bigger than the Frog. The fish store owner yanked the Frog, from the tank, cut it open, immediately and the Fu Manchu actually lived.
I think it's a very bad idea. As others have said, Frogs are known to easily be able to eat things bigger than themselves. And, as Frank said...the venom has no effect on them.

sanchoy

wow.. i thought it was impossible to eat something bigger than yourself..
I mean if it is bigger.. where will the excess go?

grabbitt

Originally Posted by AW2x3
http:///forum/post/3099190
I've heard, a few occasions, of Frogfish eating Lions.
On one, occasion, when I lived in Chicago, I saw a cheap Frog eat a Fu Manchu, that was considerably bigger than the Frog. The fish store owner yanked the Frog, from the tank, cut it open, immediately and the Fu Manchu actually lived.
I think it's a very bad idea. As others have said, Frogs are known to easily be able to eat things bigger than themselves. And, as Frank said...the venom has no effect on them.
Good call by the owner. That would suck to see happen.

teds tank

yikes i deffently won't get the 2 in the same tank
ty for all the help

aw2x3

Wow...I think I was drunk, when I typed that last reply. Look at all the commas. lol!
Anyway, yeah...it's not a good idea. I'm not saying it hasn't been done, because I know a few guys that have accomplished it. And, even some who ended up with mated pairs.
Frogs can and will eat things larger than themselves. Most of the time, if the prey is too large, the Frog will die. The prey will not digest fast enough and the Frog will die from the food rotting in it's digestive tract.
I've had two Frogs together...a Warty ($200 fish) and a Sargassum ($30 fish). The Sargassum was about 1/2" the size of the Warty and yet, he followed him around the tank, trying to "lure" him and eat him. I watched for about 20 minutes, before I separated them.