Lionfish and tank size

zj4play

What is the optimum size tank for a lionfish

I really want one, but I think my tank is too small at 24 gallons

sfoister

I would tell you that your answer would vary depending on the type of lion, but 24 gallons is too small for any variety of lionfish.

traps

Woh, what about dwarf lionfish? Fu Man Chu gets up to 4-5 inches, Fuzzy Dwarf gets 5-7 inches (as to the average of various sources). My understanding is a dwarf can easily be kept in a 24 gallon.

sfoister

Originally Posted by Traps
Woh, what about dwarf lionfish? Fu Man Chu gets up to 4-5 inches, Fuzzy Dwarf gets 5-7 inches (as to the average of various sources). My understanding is a dwarf can easily be kept in a 24 gallon.
It is my opinion that 7 inches would be a little large for a 24 gallon tank.

walmart

dont get the lion fish. such a small tank could cause the lionfish to be aggressive towards other fish. plus i dont think it is far to have a 5-7 inch fish isnt far in to him in such a small space even alone by himself.

zj4play

Thanks Walmart...I am going to skip the Lionfish until I upgrade to a bigger tank down the road. But I just need to figure out what "first fish" to get now

sfoister

Just for reference I decided to walk into my LFS, I was passing by anyway. I walked right over to the fuzzy dwarf lion they had displayed. It was labeled as a juvenile fuzzy dwarf and this thing was already 4 inches. Don't let the name "dwarf" fool you. It's only a dwarf because when compared to other species they are smaller. But still relatively large for a 24 gallon.
As far as a first fish, I would get something active to keep your attention. Maybe a clown or two. If you could find a mated pair that would be really nice.

zj4play

I would like to get some shrimp too, would the clowns be ok with them?
As far as my attention span goes...I have been staring at my non-moving rocks for a couple of weeks so I think I will be ok with anytype of fish

walmart

lol ive been staring at rocks too. i have a 55 and this is what im starting out with
the cuc crew and a pair of mated clowns then a cleaner shrimp or blood.

zj4play

What about one of those coral banded shrimp? I think I will go with the clowns and then go from there. Do gobys get along with clowns

walmart

yes gobys and clowns and shrimp get along together, but the coral branded shrimp has a big appitite so you have to feed him regulary.

zj4play

Thanks for all the advice Wallmart...I am going to make a trip to the store on the way home to see what they have. I will keep you posted