Lionfish clear stomach??!!!

newbfish

I bought this drawf lion fish about a month ago and it looked fine. I really haven't been paying too much attention to it because it isn't active and the nba playoffs.... but today however, I looked at it and notice its stomach was clear
. I don't know what it could be, so I stopped by the LFS I got him from and asked about it. He said maybe I'm feeding him too much and the stomach is expanding which I have or worst case is that he ate a worm or some sort. He said to feed it less and see what happens. I feed him frozen mysis shrimp. Just tested my water today and everything is good. My salinity is a little high tho. 1.027. Please give me some input.

sepulatian

You are only feeding him mysis? I suggest that you pick up some frozen formula food or make your own. He needs much more variety. Poor color on a lion is a sign of lack of nutrition or poor water quality. Pick up some Vitachem and Zoecon as well. Start rotating that on every meal.

newbfish

If I went the route of making my own, what do you suggest?
Can I just buy shrimp, clams and mussels and stuff like what we eat from the supermarket and just blend it up?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by NewbFish http:///forum/post/3039029
If I went the route of making my own, what do you suggest?
Can I just buy shrimp, clams and mussels and stuff like what we eat from the supermarket and just blend it up?
Yes, here is Beth's recipe https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/127007/faqs-fish-diseases-treatments-quarantine-health-info#post_914889 you can tailor it to meet the needs of your lion. For future reference this can be found in her Common Treatments FAQ, which is the second stickie from the top of this forum.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by NewbFish
http:///forum/post/3039063
thank you, I will definitely do that!!!
Is he still coming out to eat regularly? The better diet with vitamins will only work if he actually eats for you. If he takes mysis then he will eat other foods.

newbfish

It didn't make it through last night. It was around 3am and I was keeping an eye on it. I tried to go to sleep and while in bed I heard a splash as if something jumped out. I get up and check and I see that the lionfish is swimming upside down and the ph is trying to suck it in and thatz why it was trying to jump out. I took a final look at the spot and it's stomach was completely open and some of the stuff was hanging out!!! It had to be a parasite. I only have a maroon clown, fire fish, dragon goby and lawn mower blennie as its tankmates.
R.I.P.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
A solitary diet of mysis could certainly result in poor health of this fish. There is no way of knowing for sure, but I would say that over poor quality of nutrition is a contributing factor.

joebob7

Hmm interesting how no one answered his question, just said to feed different food to help with the color. Seriously?

deejeff442

probably because nobody has a clue yet.
the two best were on here but i think the pic is showing to me anyway like a piece of meat was missing .
the op hasnt said if it was color or a chunk missing.
even with malnutrition i dont think it would have done that so fast.
once a fish becomes ill other fish and inverts tend to attack it.
lions are easilly picked on .i would like to get one but i am worried my puffer would nip its fins off.
my trigger likes to nip my tangs fins here and there.
i also had a grouper eat my lion along time ago and the grouper wasnt much biger than the lion.
anyway i wish the op would let us know a little more so we all can learn.

mantisman51

I would think an infection. When tissue is being broken down from the inside out like that, it would point to something bacterial, especially if the fish was eating up to the last. The picture doesn't reflect a scrawny, malnourished fish. It looks like a fairly substantial fish thats stomach area is being dissolved. Bizarre and creepy.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There is no way of knowing with certainty what caused this fish's demise. It is clearly more than just fading flesh. However, a diet of one single source for a fish that should be eating more substantially would be a contributing factor to the end result, which is deteriorating health due to malnutrition--given that this fish was healthy when first acquired a month ago.

sepulatian

As mentioned, there is no way to tell for sure what killed this fish. Poor diet will cause a fish's immune system to suffer which can allow any number of ailments to kill a fish that would have otherwise been able to heal itself.

thai

Originally Posted by NewbFish
http:///forum/post/3038712
I bought this drawf lion fish about a month ago and it looked fine. I really haven't been paying too much attention to it because it isn't active and the nba playoffs.... but today however, I looked at it and notice its stomach was clear
. I don't know what it could be, so I stopped by the LFS I got him from and asked about it. He said maybe I'm feeding him too much and the stomach is expanding which I have or worst case is that he ate a worm or some sort. He said to feed it less and see what happens. I feed him frozen mysis shrimp. Just tested my water today and everything is good. My salinity is a little high tho. 1.027. Please give me some input.

i saw one of your thread that you had a 30inch mh for sale email me on the price thaivannguyen222@yahoo.com with a number and some info new or used.