Lionfish feeding

angelgirl

I have just upgraded to a 100 gallon FOWLR and looking forward to stocking it. First thing I am looking at is a lionfish, had one years ago and embarrassed to say that is when you fed them goldfish
I am looking for advise on how to properly feed them. I live in the country and do not have access to good lfs so much that I do has to be homemade.
thank you
Angelgirl :happyfish

F

franciee

It is my understanding they only eat live food small rosie reds.

michelle l

No. Not true.
They can be acclimated to frozen foods by waving it in front of them with a feeding stick. My LFS has one right now who they took in to sell for a customer, and generally he eats frozen krill every day with a weekly damsel or two to supplement his diet.

lion_crazz

Feeding a lionfish any kind of freshwater fish is a very bad idea. It is one of the biggest causes of death in lionfish in aquarium. Giving them freshwater fish causes fatty liver disease.
You are going to have to wean them onto frozen foods. Lionfish will accept shrimp, krill, silversides, prawn, and other meaty seafoods. You may have to wean them onto frozen foods by using gut-loaded ghost shrimp.

psusocr1

feeding stick is a long piece of acrylic( a stick) that you put the food on the end , also he means get the shrimp and feed the shrimp real well then feed them to them lionfish.
if you do a search ion "feefing lionfish" non this forum youll get 1000 different ways people have got them to eat frozen.
both my russels and volitan lion LOVE silversides!! they also eat everythign from krill, to squidd etc. etc.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by angelgirl
gut-loaded ghost shrimp?? please explain, also what is a feeding stick?
thanks
Angelgirl :happyfish
Whatever you plan to feed the lionfish, feed it to the shrimp before-hand. This way, when the lion consumes the shrimp, it will consume the nutrition the shrimp just got as well.

v-lioness

angelgirl welcome back to the world of lions.......

If it is a Volitan you are looking to add to your tank than they are pretty easy to wean over to frozen foods.
I feed my Volitans a variety of meaty foods, for example: Red Snapper, Flounder, Ocean Perch, Mahi Mahi, Shark Steaks, Raw Shrimp (with shell on), and Raw Crab from the grocery store. I personally do not feed krill, but I do feed Silversides & Frozen Sand Eels from my LFS.
As you can see most of my foods come directly from the grocery store, variety will play a large roll in keeping your lion healthy overtime. I also soak all of my foods in vitamins (selcon or zoe) that you can purchase at your LFS.
When you feed your lion, you can use a feeding stick (feeding Prong) they cost about 1.50 - 2.00 dollars at your LFS. It will be easier to start with silversides or Frozen sand eels, just place it at the end of your stick, wiggle and see if the lion will except the frozen. Once your lion is on frozen foods it is not necessary to feed any live foods, as your lion excepts frozen just keep adding different foods into the diet.
Look at these two articles on lion, they will help you decide.....
The Lion Info Sheet

[hr]
> http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php
and
Selection, Care, and Compatibility ----> http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i2...lionfishes.htm
Hope this helps,
Kaye