Lionfish help

lionfish99

Hey I'm brand new to this and I have already started my tanks cycling process, I'm absolutly in love with the Lionfish, and I've looked at books, sites online, and everywhere else. I'm just curious if anyone has any "helpful hints" for me. But I have one important question about food. I know they can be fed fish food pellets, but I would prefer something a little more natural. (I can use feeder fish my girlfriend says that is un ethical) I'm curious to what other food sources I have to choose from. Thank you soo much to anyone that answers.

michellej

I have a volitan lionfish and finally I found a food he will eat. It is a frozen food called marine cuisine. He wont eat frozen brine shrimp or flakes or anything else. Although I have never tried live food and really dont want to. I got the food from *****

lionfish99

Thats the exact fish, now what is marine cuisine made of. Do you have any advice you could give me on special care or anything (something to keep him happy and healthy). Thanks

ophiura

OK
1) Check out our aggressive fish forum for information and questions on these fish.
2)Food: Lionfish should not be fed food pellets, flake food or brine. None are suitable for these fish, IMO (brine is not really suitable as a diet for any fish). They should be fed meaty foods - silversides, squid, shrimp, krill. All can be found frozen. They should, IMO under NO circumstances, be fed live freshwater feeders (goldfish, rosy reds). These are not suitable diets, can cause health issues, and carry numerous diseases.
3)They can and will eat any fish that can fit in their mouths (which are large). They should not be placed with other "nippy" fish that might go after their fins. And filtration for a predatory tanks should be robust.

michellej

Marine cuisine is made up of frozen krill and mysis. As soon as I put it in the tank my lion goes crazy eating it.

ophiura

It is also relatively expensive compared to other types of food. Its not bad for them in anyway, but it can be more economical (and a more diverse diet) to feed the silversides, etc.

ophiura

Most LFS will carry silversides. They are generally sold in frozen flat packs. Long little silver fish.

mantis81

My V. Lion likes to eat silversides, freeze dried krill, and uncooked cocktail shrimp. His favorite is the silversides. The food has to be moving or he will not eat it. It took me a few weeks to get him to eat, but I finally got him to eat the silversides. You just have to be patient and keep trying different foods until you find something he likes.