Lionfish ID and Info about Dwarfs

gemmy

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :( This site is NOT working with my new pc. I can't edit and sometimes I can't post.
Anyway, so how about those pics???

btldreef

He was still in the bag floating in this pick. Don't mind the cloudy water behind him, just added some more live sand to the tank and it clouded the water for awhile:

It's really tiny, probably about 2 1/2 - 3". He eats feeder shrimp and really tiny little guppies. I have no intention on feeding him fresh water fish AT ALL (unless he absolutely refuses to convert to frozen), but that's what he was eating at the LFS. His mouth is small, so whatever goes into his tank as food must also be rather small. He's going to be staying in the 14G for the time being until I can get him to eat a little more, and then once the move is done, he'll go in either the 155 FOWLR or a 40G Lionfish tank (depends on which gets set up first and what fish go in each).
BTW. if anyone can tell from these pics (crappy, I know) whether it's male or female, that would be awesome!

S

saxman

Pretty fish! One thing I do miss is that our fu no longer "stalks" its food since it's "on the stick", but it's a solid feeder and even takes mysis from the water column. You'll see what I mean when you feed the fish (headshaking, undulation of dorsal spines, and twitching of the pectoral ends). IME, ghosties work better for these fish as they're bottom huggers, and guppies typically spend their time at the surface. I do think you got yours at a perfect size and age.
Unfortunately, D. biocellatus isn't sexually dimorphic/dichromic, so there's no way to sex them. This fish is super intolerant of conspecifics, even in large setups.
Can't wait for an update and more pics.