Lionfish mouth stuck open!

vegas made

its stuck open ??? are you sure hes not holding it open??
i would try very carefully closing it
or net him and just nrimg him ip out of water to see if it stays open just for a second

gbellx

most def not holding it open...
looks like it may be broken?
how do i net it and correct it....seems risky?
step by step please

gbellx

alright, just netted....
closed a little....
...mouth looks broken :(
my guess is that...broken mouth = starvation?
EDIT: i dont want anything to suffer...please help with any knowledge.

nicetry

Sadly, this is not uncommon with these fish. Jaw dislocations can happen if they strike an object (rock, glass, etc) when going after food. There is not much you can do. The jaw might set itself. If the dislocation is sustained, the fish might have a hard time eating. Keep an eye on the fish for now. Don't manually manipulate the jaw as you can do more damage.

lesleybird

Originally Posted by nicetry
Sadly, this is not uncommon with these fish. Jaw dislocations can happen if they strike an object (rock, glass, etc) when going after food. There is not much you can do. The jaw might set itself. If the dislocation is sustained, the fish might have a hard time eating. Keep an eye on the fish for now. Don't manually manipulate the jaw as you can do more damage.
Not to mention the lion fish has venomous spines. Don't get stung with them!

texasmetal

For future reference, you should never use a net to catch a Lionfish. You can damage its spines. Also, I can't imagine trying to touch a Lionfish in a net... seems like playing "Operation"... bump the wrong part... ouch.

brandon7491

well if u dont want it to starve u could well kill it. put it in a bag fill the bag with co2 (this is last resort) i would just qt it and try and c if it can heal and if u c its getting to be mary kate and ashley olsen then humainly kill it

1journeyman

I had a Chromis that got it's mouth stuck open once. It did eventually starve.
I'm moving this to the disease forum to see if you can get some help.

v-lioness

Jaw dislocations can happen if they strike an object (rock, glass, etc) when going after food. There is not much you can do. The jaw might set itself. If the dislocation is sustained, the fish might have a hard time eating. Keep an eye on the fish for now.
I agree, leave the lion alone for now, don't try to feed it, my black dislocated it's jaw about 2 years ago, it started slamming the jaw against my LR, the jaw reset, it took weeks to get this lion eating again, I had to feed very small pieces of food, and just baby it along.
Good Luck, keep us updated on your lion............
Kaye