Lionfish & Pufferlover, And anyone else with input

liongirl

I think i am supposed to post this question in this forum (?)
I have a 44 gallon hexagon tank. I want to put in a lion fish (dwarf) and a dogface puffer.
Righ now I only have an AquaClear 300 filter (i think it is for a 100 gallon tank - so i would have enough water movement) The reason I bought this one is because they didnt have the filters that i normally buy when i went to purchase it (and i thought i was going to set the tank up for brackish water). I really dont want to have to buy a new filter, so what else should i add to this tank since these are such messy fish? And what would be good for the bottom of the tank ... i already have CC and LS on the bottom, but I would like to have something else besides just a sand bed.
Thanks for your help ...... :D

IMO, a tank that size with rockwork, sandbed etc will not keep the dogface happy. right now I have a dogface and a hawaiin squirell in my 75 gal. bowfront and I think eventually I will have to lose the squirell. Full grown, IMO, a dog should be in atleast a 72 gal., I know others will say different but if you could see my dogface in the 75 it is easy to see how he would eventually be crowded in a 44 hex, not to mention its deep as opposed to long and they like to roam back and forth. I am sure Lion and Pufferlover can offer more...just my ".02"

pufferlover

Those little voices are telling Marauder the right stuff. The Puffer can get to 12 to 15" (my Dog is about 15 and I bought him as a baby in 98 (but he was this big in about a year and half). Mine is in a 58 and I feel bad but he is alone and seems content as long as he doesn't grow any more (then I have a problem). They do like to roam and they are very messy eaters. I think a hex would cause problems and more aggression from a puffer even at a few inches long. Lion's are not my specialty but I think Lionfish will get you a answer shortly. Now don't get me wrong a baby Puffer would work for a while but not long and then you would have to replace it (and believe me you get attached to them and they are hard to part with). I have never had a hex tank so I do not want to advise you toward what to put it one, but I am sure others will jump in on that also. As I think about this tho I suddenly realize I have only seen one hex tank set up in all the stores I visit around here and it was a huge one (wonder if maybe different areas feature different things?).

lionfish

LionFish says......
Althoug, I have had a few hexagon tanks in the past, I would recommend that you don't put a lion in it. This is because a hexagon tank is tall where as most tanks are shorter and longer. Lions aren't what you call the most active swimmers around but they do swim a bit during the day but they usually swim forward not up and down. They really should be in a tank with a lot of space to move sideways but they can move up and downs a little bit. I actually think it would be fine as it is just a Dwarf. If you add the rockwork for him to sit on things should be fine. Use CC and live sand for the bottom of the tank. Also, just a recommendation, try to put a Protien Skimmer in the tank sometimes soon as they are almost essential for a marine tank. You don't really really really need it but it would be helpful. Anymore Qs?

liongirl

What kind of rock work should I put on the bottom? They are just plain rocks or something?
Are there any kinds of pufferfish that don't get too big?

pufferlover

A Puffer that would work would be one from the Canthigaster family which would be in common names usually found a saddle back, a figi, a sharpnose. These little guys get to about 4 inches max (mine is 4 years old and about 3 now). They are listed as needing a 20 gal or larger tank (which you have altho a hex). Downside you can only have one as they will fight with others of their kind unless you get a pair (except no one knows how to --- them). Most stores will have them solo in tanks so no chance to find 2 who seem to be dating. They can be fin nippers altho mine has never shown that it prefers to be left alone and swims at all levels of my 46 bowfront.