lionfish, puffers and angelfish in a tank

how to house a puffer and/or angelfish with a lionfish? i hear that the angel fish and/or puffers nip at the lionfish. this is for a pred tank. how can u keep them together if possible?

darren0311

It really depends on what type of puffer you have or are looking to get, I have an angel with my volitan and a tang and neither of them bother my lion!

so the new question is wat type of angelfish and/or puffers nip at lionfish?is it a nip that is constant, daily?life threatning?is it once every blue moon because if it is that doesnt matter. does the tank need to be large for them not to nip at the lionfish?
and any input would be helpful

jp30338

I have a porc. puffer with my radiata lion. The puffer doesn't nip at the lion at all, in fact they pretty much stay on opposite sides of the tank. I will be getting an angel at some point, my lfs and others say it should be ok to put them together. each fish I have added I watch for signs of nipping, if they do start nipping then I just swap the fish out. So far have only had to do it once though! Every fish is different and what works for someone may not work out for another.

true i say the same thing. i hope to get a 220g soon and if i do i will be making it a pred tank. i heard so many comments about ppl seeing the lionfish getting nipped by the angelfish or puffer but the norm to put in a pred is a lionfish and puffers and possible angles and so on.

scottallert

we had a 150gal some years ago and the queen angel would bite the lion all the time we had to fish it out and flush it, but the puffer left the lion alone, they were all wild caught fish though.

90g tank a little small for the queen maybe y he nipped the dwarf lion.
scottallert - can u say more info about the 150g like wat fishes did u have in the tank wat u fed them and so on

prime311

Angles and Puffer both might pick on a Lion. There is no 'trick' to making it work. Each fish has their own personality, some will pick on Lions some don't. Just be aware that its a risk putting a Lion in with Angels and Puffers and observe closely if you do so and be prepared to remove a fish from a bad environment.

so wat ur mainly saying is put them in but if there r problems take it out to make sure there is no harm or as little as possible.
its like tossing a coin to see if they(angels and puffers)nip at him(lionfish).
i love the way a lionfish look like. how can u not have one in a pred tank. and how can u not throw in there puffers and angelfish man there awsome fish and the tank would be big 220g so theres space. i think id throw in a eel as well as orthers but not to many since each would be a foot long or larger.
but that sucks that the fish that go perfect with each other have to nip on a fish that i cant live without.i guess i must monitor them and if anything happens i would remove the fish that nips with another.
last thing, should i put in the lion first and then wait a couple of weeks and then the angels and puffer or make sure they r in first and then add the lion last. would the timing in the order of the fish make a difference?

prime311

People might avoid putting Lionfish in a Predator tank because Lions aren't really aggressive. The general rule is to keep aggressive fish with other aggressives because they can defend themselves and to keep peaceful fish with other peaceful fish. The Lions are sort of in between, like Anglers, because they can suck in anything small enough to fit in their mouths, but they aren't truly aggressive fish. A Lion with Angels or Triggers or Puffers is defenseless because its natural venom spines are easily avoided by aggressive fish. You can hope to spot signs of aggression before the Lion is damaged to the point of dying or killed, but there is no guarantee.
The general rule when adding fish is to put the least aggressive in first so yes a Lion should go in first in a predator tank.

prime, thank u very much for ur info
ur right they only r agrressive towards smaller fish that fit in there mouth iv never seen one attack anything else. it makes sence to put agressive fish with agressive fish since they might go after each other they can defend themselves
thank you all for ur info