Lionfish Questions/Aggressive Tank Questions

yannifish

Hello, all.
I am currently in the planning phase of a 75 gallon tank, and am entertaining the possibility of keeping aggressive/predatory type fish.
First of all, a few questions concerning lionfish. How easy are they to keep? What kind of care requirements do they have? I'd be looking at either the Fuzzy Dwarf or Zebra (like the Zebra better).
As far as other fish go, I currently have a pair of A. ocellaris that would have to go in the 75 too. Would a lion end up eating these guys?
As far as other tank mates go, I'd love a trigger (would a Picasso be happy in a 75? I've heard they will, but want to double check) and a Toby puffer of some sort. I'd also love a dwarf angel.
So, I'm just looking for general care requirements of this kind of tank, and yay or nay to the fish list. I'm not dead set on having a predator tank, just getting the some info so I know whether it's something I want to consider or not.
Thanks!

S

saxman

Generally speaking, lionfish are easy to keep, especially once they're established. I heartily recommend a dwarf fuzzy (Dendrochirus brachypterus) over D. zebra if this will be your first lionfish. They're a lot more hardy, and in general, much easier to wean off of live food than a zebra. Weaning the fish is something I strongly recommend. BTW. This isn't to say that keeping a zebra is impossible, it's simply our experience with quite a few different lionfish species.
Give these two articles a read for more information:
http://www.lionfishlair.com/careguides/lionfish.shtml
http://www.lionfishlair.com/feedingtechniques/toolsofthetrade.shtml
As for your clownfish, an established pair will likely have claimed the entire tank as their territory, and may harass any newcomers. Lionfish are quite passive, and are often the victims of such attacks when added to existing setups. To avoid this, you may need to rearrange your decor to break up any established territories. There's also the possibility of your clowns becoming "lion lunch" if they're small enuff for the lion to eat.
There really isn't a triggerfish that would do OK in a 75 gal, and most triggers don't do well with lionfish anyhow unless they're planktivores. You might consider one or a pair of one of the more peaceful filefish such as the bristletail/matted (Acreicthys tomentosus
) instead.
Most tobies can be fin-nippers, and those long lionfish fins are often irresistible to them, so you may need a Plan B just in case. FWIW, leopard tobies are fairly difficult to keep, so stick with the other Canthagaster
species.
HTH, sorry the post is a bit long...

yannifish

This would be my first lionfish. Fuzzy dwarf is fine by me.
As far as weaning them off live foods goes, that would certainly be my plan. What kinds of live foods are acceptable to feed initially?
I'll read those articles, thanks.
I figured that's what the answer would be concerning the trigger, but just thought I'd ask. I love triggers. As far as the clowns go, the 75 currently isn't set up, so territorial aggression should be avoidable. As far as the clowns getting eaten, that is something I'd like to avoid. I've had these two for over five years and have grown rather attached to them...
Haha, so no puffers either. Oh well.
So what would be good tank mates for a lionfish? I know you mentioned a filefish, how difficult to keep are the bristletail filefish? I thought filefish as a rule were pretty hard.
I guess what my thoughts are is to have a little bit more unique of a tank. Everyone has a pair of clowns, blenny, royal gramma, dwarf angel, ect. in their tank. Not that there is anything wrong with this combo, I am just after something a little more unique. So suggestions other than lionfish would be more than welcome as well.

S

saxman

That's great that you're looking at having something off the beaten path. I suppose that is part of our attraction to Scorpaeniformes as well.
You could go with 2-3 dwarf lionfish species, or even a M-F pair/M-F-F harem of fuzzies. You should also consider waspfish and small species scorps (Scorpaenodes sp.) as tankmates.
One of our setups currently houses five lionfish (M-F pair of fuzzies, D. biocellatus (fu manchu), Pterois radiata, and P. sphex
, a cockatoo waspfish, and a S. caribbaeus
scorp...it's a pretty cool tank, altho can be a bit demanding at feeding time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9qDwbH2uNk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXwe7zKhPQw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdMGgE0eVzE
Bristletail filefish aren't too tuff to keep once they're eating and established, and as a bonus, they'll eat Aiprasia as long as they aren't fed TOO well...

yannifish

I'm not sure I want other lionfish (although a pair or trio might be cool) or waspfish/scorps, but I might look into the filefish.
Excellant articles.
How do you move a lionfish? Can you use a net?

S

saxman

I prefer to use a soft-weave, box-bottomed net (I think Tam's makes them now) over anything else. I have never gotten a scorp stuck in one of them, but I've had to cut fish out of "regular" nets, and it's no fun, plus it ruins the net. BTW, it's the fish's opercular spines that get caught...it's never their other spines.
You can also use "specimen boxes" or fish traps if the fish is small enuff.
Do make sure that you use a second net to cover the first one or the specimen box, as lionfish can, and will jump out of the net.