Lionfish shedding

moopiespoo

How often do lionfish shed and what are the sypmtoms. Mine has turned very dark ( volitan) and is lathargic and hasen't ate. I do see some skin coming off. All water parameters are good.

michaeltx

try this in the disease forumn when mine did this it had a bacteria type infection by the time I relized what was going on it was to late.
Mike

fmarini

may i ask what your feeding said lionfish, does he eat now and how lethargic his he?
shedding of the lions cuticle is a common occurance in the life of a lion (maybe once monthly), and depending on how healthy or sickly the lion will shed more or less frequently.
Have you seen the cuticle yet?
frank

mine may have shed once in the past year
do they shed less or more if healthy?
Mine has also grown about 2" since I got him

I've had mine for about 6 months and have never had him shed or seem any evidence of shedding. What does it look like and how do I tell?

mossad327

When I had a dwarf, he shed about once every two weeks. You'll only be able to notice if you're there when it happens. He'll shake like a dog, and his cuticle will come off. It will float away and dissolve or get eaten in the water within about five minutes though.

fmarini

These fish shed frequently, most of the time you guys don't notice it becuz they do so at night and the shed (the cuticle) is thin mucus like substance (which looks like snot and goes over your overflow). If you are ever lucky enuf to see a lionfish shed -you'll notice the lion first vibrate their fins, then blast/jet forward a few times and they trail a white vail. This mucus is their cuticle.
in the wild, scorpionfish (since they are sedentary "wait-around predators) are covered by a thin membranous layer (called the cuticle)to protect themselves from organisms which settle on top of them. So they shed and remove these adherent organisms. in the hom aqurim, shedding is related to stress and health. A heatlhy lion shed regularly w/ a heatlhy white shed, an unhealthy lion sheds more frequently, or not at all.
frank