Lionfish with fishing line in his mouth

alextrif

I have a lionfish that I've been using the frozen fish on a fishing lure to eat. He pulled the fish off with the fish line and has that in his mouth. I can see the food in his belly, but the lure portion is still in his mouth. Any idea how to get it out? I am hoping he will eventually spit it out.:notsure:

alextrif

no - I'm not that bad. You can find frozen food at the LFS w/ a piece of fishing line frozen in the "formed" fish like food. You let it defrost and trypically when the lion grabs it, he pulls it off the lure which is left in your hand. This time he got the lure (just fishing line only) and he still has it. No hook involved. No need to report me to the SPCA.
I just don't know how to pull the line from his mouth. If he ends up swallowing it, I don't know if it will pass.

jonny bolt

Ah, I see said the blind man lol. Do you have any good plastic tongs that close tight on the end? Maybe you could try to grab onto the line and try to gently pull it away from him. Some tight closing tongs with a long handle would be good.

alextrif

yes - I thought about that. The amazing thing about lionfish is the way the move sooooo slow until they need to move quickly. As soon as I approach him with the tongs, he takes off like a madman.

jonny bolt

Damn. I guess thats expected though, cant really blame him lol. If thats the case, you might have to "set him up". By this I mean, dupe him into a plastic holder and put him in a smaller tank (if you have a QT for example, you could use that), and try to give him the tong treatment that way :)

knots

Call the SPCA for a lionfish with a hook in his mouth? I wonder what they would tell you.:notsure: I would think you would have to just wait and see what happens. It's not like you can catch him and hold him and then pull it out. How long is the line and is it regular fishing line? I bet you're not the first one that's had this problem either. Good luck

F

fonzoner

im sorry but i had to comment on that one. when i read it i almost chocked on my chocolate pretzel.hope he makes it.....let us know how u make out.......

alextrif

WARNING TO ALL WITH LIONFISH - DON"T USE THE FROZEN FOOD ON A LURE
He loves this pre-formed fish frozen on to a 3 inch lure, but if it slips off your hand as he takes the "bait" - good luck. I should let the LFS know what has happed, but it is a little embarassing. The fish appears OK, but he still has about 2 inches of fishing line in his mouth. I sure hope they have strong stomach acids.

lion_crazz

Wow, I sure hope he spits it out for you. Good luck though, and keep us posted as to his condition.
Can you take a pic?

loopy

can you find a way to corner him, with a glass or plastic dish for example, and at least clip some of the line? Eek, I would be afraid to.

alextrif

hey folks - he is still going strong - with the line sticking out of his mouth. I walk over to the tank and he immediately comes to the top thinking I have food. I will try to take a picture tommorow. It is a tank at my work ad I got to bring my camera in.
Would rubber gloves be enough to protect me from his sting? I think so, but I value a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

fishieness

i go fishing pretty much every other day.... every day in the summer. Is it like monofiliment fishing line? that stuff wont biodegrate in about a century. But it can be passes if the lion is big enough. If it gets balled up, then that owuld be a problem, but if the end is still hanging out, he could probably pass it. Ive caught trout with snelled hooks comming out of their rear-end. Like the if the hook goes down curve first, there is not barb or point to catch it. If the lion is big enough i would think it would pass since his intestins are larger, but even if he is small, it would still probably pass through his system.
this jsut reminds me for some reason, i saw on animal planet, a dog swollowed a knife with an 18 inche blade! they had to give him surgery obviously, but this wasnt until a few days after he swollowed it...
PS: even though what i jsut previously state, i would recomend trying to remove the line anyways... oh.. and do a serch on here for lion fish stings.. jsut in case.javascript
:smilie('
')
apply heat... hot water or hair dryer for a long time... if yoru not alergic, that would work.

knots

If he still comes to the top to be fed and you can see the string, try to tease him with food and then try to grab the string with some pliers. Sure not gonna be easy but maybe you can try. There is no way I would try and grab him with gloves unless they were welders gloves, and then you would still risk hurting him.

holmer

wow.....just....wow, anyway, i also fish the line should dissolve, i could be wrong though, the line i use ....does.if it doesnt, the acid in his stomach should help. anyway, if you are stung by your lion, you should take benadrill, if your allergic to bee stings, then your prob, allergic to your lion. again......wow. good luck.

alextrif

here is a picture - I hope you can see the clear fishing line on the left. So so quality - from a webcam.

fishy411

have you fed him since then? if he didnt swallow it all the way it should come out when he goes to eat.