Lionfish

sundog

OK...now I've gone and done something really stupid. :)
I was at my LFS and I saw a very beautiful lionfish...it was a Red Volitans...about 4 inches long and in incredibly beautiful shape. Perfect fins and coloration. Absolutely gorgeous specimen.
I currently have a Yellow Tang, a Cleaner Wrasse and a mean Sebae Clown. I've got alot of inverts...but I'm really thinking about redoing my tank somewhat and getting this lionfish. I've always thought about getting one someday...but obviously my tank is not setup for one.
I know that there are a few who have them, so I'd really like to hear your thoughts on keeping one...pros and cons and what would you think I'd need to get rid of in order to keep one in my tank?
I think the Yellow Tang is too big. I think the Cleaner Wrasse is too fast and the Sebae has got it's 2 anemone's for protection (just a thought...I'm not hard-set on that, just thought I'd throw that out there).
I've got a plenum system, Berlin skimmer, about 70 lbs. of LR in a 65 gallon tank and I do have a HOT Magnum but it is only used occasssionally for water polishing (which could be used for full time mechanical by changing the media).
I haven't gotten it and maybe I won't, but everytime I see one, I want one...and this one was one of the most beautiful I've seen.
I'd really like to hear your comments, no matter what they are about it... :)
[ May 01, 2001: Message edited by: Sundog ]

gobylover

Well,I have a black volitan.His tankmates are a Betta,2 tangs(yellow and sailfin),2 puffers,a clown, a coral beuty,a neon goby and a mandarine fish.I have several crabs and a carpet along with lr and corals.He seems to do fine.He never bothers anything.The only problem I'm having with him is getting him to eat frozen.But it don't bother me too bad!!HTH!! ;)

sundog

What size tank do you have those all in?
I would be concerned with having the coral beauty, neon goby and the mandarine fish in there with him. Not that it will be a problem...but it is a potential problem that I'm trying to avoid.
Just curious.
[ May 01, 2001: Message edited by: Sundog ]

seadaddy

I have a Red volitan Lionfish in a 180 gallon with a Bluehead wrasse(not to bright of me)and 3 cleaner wrasses. The Lionfish initially started to hunt the Bluehead wrasse when I put him in but now he just ignores him. I once put a Haliquin tusk in with a lionfish(really dumb). The Lionfish never paid ant attention to the tusk until about a week later when I could see the tusk's outline in the Lionfishes stomach. That was one expensive meal. Who knows what a Lionfish will fancy for dinner.

sundog

I realize that a Red Volitans can get quite large...but I also know that they are also not one of the great "swimmers".
In fact I have yet to see one that does anything more than "hang-out" in one spot most of the time. This is one reason I am wondering if my 65 gallon would be of sufficient size for him and my Yellow Tang if the other inhabitants are removed.
I had a breeding pair of 12-13" Oscars in a 55 gallon freshwater tank...that were not only very healthy in that tank but spawned successfully for many years. I kept them in that tank for over 10 years.
I would think that my 65 gallon would be large enough for a single Volitans and my Yellow Tang. While it is not as long as a 55, it is much wider, front to back.
I'm really partial to the Red Volitans and although there are smaller lionfish, it is only the Red Volitans that interests me.