Lions aren't aggressive

srfisher17

Am I the only one who thinks that Lions should not be included in the "Aggressive Fish" list at the intro to this forum? IME, lions are the victims of aggression far more often than the instigators. I could be dead wrong on this, but I sure don't like the idea of mixing lions with the more aggressive triggers, etc. I know there are lots of success stories; but also lots of beat up lions. Lions are hunters and generally do very well with anything they can't swallow,IMO.

grabbitt

If a fish will eat any invert or fish that can fit in its mouth, I'm gonna go ahead and classify that fish as 'aggressive'.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by GRabbitt
If a fish will eat any invert or fish that can fit in its mouth, I'm gonna go ahead and classify that fish as 'aggressive'.
Point taken. But, that's true for many, many fish--they just have smaller mouths. I really think damsels can do more to upset tankmates thru their aggressive behavior than most lions. I guess I'll just use the term so many online stores do: "Semi-Aggressive" or as SWF.C says "bold".

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by srfisher17
Point taken. But, that's true for many, many fish--they just have smaller mouths. I really think damsels can do more to upset tankmates thru their aggressive behavior than most lions. I guess I'll just use the term so many online stores do: "Semi-Aggressive" or as SWF.C says "bold".
Both good points...I would love to have a Lion, but I realize that its not a good idea with even "docile" triggers, and Angels...I look forward to some day having a few Lions, I think they are great fish in the right setup, but like you say Srfisher, not an "aggressive" set-up.

reefstar22

I have a lion in my tank. - He is VERY timid with the other tank mates. - However my tank being an " aggressive reef " is actully quite peace full. No one really bugs anyone.
Trigger/lion/moray *blue ribbon*
None of them bother any one. Not even my damsels.

My lion is quite aggressive at feeding time but I think they should be in a different class of aggressive fish. They don't chase and bit other fish but they will eat whatever they can and can seriously hurt other fish with there spines. There no Trigger...but there no clownfish either.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by Thoroughbred
My lion is quite aggressive at feeding time but I think they should be in a different class of aggressive fish. They don't chase and bit other fish but they will eat whatever they can and can seriously hurt other fish with there spines. There no Trigger...but there no clownfish either.
My Maroon Clown was the most aggressive fish I had I think...Any time I was doing work with my hand in the tank, the Triggers, Puffer and Tangs would hide and "Geoffrey" the Clown would bite me as many times as he could.

hammerhed7

they are predatory, but should not be included as aggressive, when I think aggressive, I think queen, and undulated triggers, tesselata eels, groupers, and the like, these are "fast aggressive" fish, a lionfish is more of a sedentary predator similar to frog fish and toad fish. They are not equipped to deal with fast territorial fish in a closed environment.

grabbitt

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
My Maroon Clown was the most aggressive fish I had I think...Any time I was doing work with my hand in the tank, the Triggers, Puffer and Tangs would hide and "Geoffrey" the Clown would bite me as many times as he could.

haha, I can second that. I don't have an aggressive set-up, but my GSM dominates the fish in my 30 gallon without question. He hasn't gotten around to chomping on my hand when I stick it in the tank YET, but he has begun to wag his tail at me when I reach in. I give it a month before he starts biting...

Originally Posted by kjr_trig

Your clown and me have the same name.

ufo8micats

i also have had lions in the past with no issues. they get a bad rep. my damsels are more aggressive than the lion ever thought to be. go figure

sepulatian

Lionfish are venomous and eat other fish, that is why they are in the 'aggressive' category. My lion comes after my hand or when I am by the tank every time. Not to hurt me but because he always wants SOMETHING and always thinks I have something for him. He is a big mush though. When my hand is in the tank and he comes rushing over, every single time, I turn my hand so my palm faces him and he sees that there is nothing there for him. He then swims sadly away. Not kidding, it is like I broke his heart by not having a treat for him. Very cute to see.

chilwil84

if you dont want to include lions most groupers are very friendly to fish they dont think they can eat. miniatus and blue spots can be rough but a panther is a pushover if it cant swallow something

Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
they are predatory, but should not be included as aggressive, when I think aggressive, I think queen, and undulated triggers, tesselata eels, groupers, and the like, these are "fast aggressive" fish, a lionfish is more of a sedentary predator similar to frog fish and toad fish. They are not equipped to deal with fast territorial fish in a closed environment.

agreed
they are not agressive fish they are predators.

jon321

aggressive tank and predator tank are often used interchangably, hence lions being classified as "aggressive" fish.
Jon