Lions

hawkeye

What is the difference between a dwarf zebra lion (dendrochirus zebra) and antennata lion (pterois antennata)? Do they look different? Are they different sizes? Is one generally better/hardy then the other? Is ones eating habits better then the other?
Thanks

hawkeye

I have read that antennata only get 1 inch larger then dwarf zebras (8 inches and 7). Does anyone have experience with antennata?

fritzthecat

Hawkeye,
Lionfish is the resident expert on all things, well, lionfish. Unfortunately, he seems to have dissappeared. I did a search of his previous posts and found this...
"Dwarf Lions need at least a 45 gallon to live in and to thrive and look healthy you will need a 55 gallon or higher. I have mine in a 70 gallon right now. Dwarf Lions can reach a length of 8 inches. Which is relatively small for lions. So, I think a 50 gallon would be the bare minimum for the Dwarf Lion."
In a corner tank, I think a 54 would be pushing it, since corners will leave the fish with less horizontal room to swim.
FTC

lionfish

LionFish says.......
Well, when it comes down to it, you have to think of it this way. Lionfish, no matter what the variety, get large. And they need a lot of space. I have never personally owned a corner tank, due mostly because I have heating vents in the corners. If you feel the need to keep a lion, you would have to go with a Dwarf Lion. Radittas and Antennatas don't get too much large than Dwarfs. Only an inch or 2. But they have a much larger fin span. I would only recommend a Dwraf Lion in your 54. Seeing as it is a corner tank, I might even consider that to be pushing it. Fritz make that point of less horizontal space which is necessary for them to live and thrive. If you have anymore questions, please ask.

hawkeye

Are they difficult to feed, I've heard they can give people problems, but I also remember you saying it just takes patience, it this true?

skirk

You just answered the question yourself. They can impose the difficult to feed side of themselves on you. And yes, if you're just patient with them then you can ween them off of live food. Perhaps give them live once or twice a month for the hunt though. Dwarf lions seem to like ghost shrimp a lot. Since they are mainly crustacean feeders, this works great. I feel it allows them to use there "God given talents" and feel as if they are in a more natural environment and perhaps even reduce stress due to the real world scenerio you are giving them. I do however not feel as if all lions get large. Some will stay only 3-4" and never get larger, especially the fu-man chu. The "fuzzy" or shortfin will also only grow to about 5-6" max but usually stay around the 4-5" area. Common dwarf or zebra will get 5-6" though. But that would be fine in your tank. There are definitely a couple of breeds that stay small out there. Just realize that those ones tend to live inside the lr alot more then there cousins the Volitan. Obviously, he's too large for your tank though. If you get a type of dwarf then you should definitely have plenty of lr. A temple of it, not just a wall but rather caves or a pyramid of it in the middle of the tank. They like that and since your tank is a corner one, you can make a nice hut of lr as a centerpiece. They will be all around it yet still give you time to see them (especially feeding time). HTH and just my 2cents.
[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: skirk ]
[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: skirk ]

hawkeye

Skirk, thanks for the post...you have gotten me very excited about my next possible purchase. As for the hiding spots, I have plenty and have actually been annoyed b/c my other two fish completely ignore the tunnels and hiding spots. It sounds like this could be my next purchase, thanks again!

skirk

Not to question you but what other 2 fish do you have? Hopefully they are compatible with the dwarf lion and they don't get too large themselves. If they are safe and don't get huge then you should be fine as long as filtration and tank habits are up to par. However, I wouldn't put anymore then 3 fish in there. That's getting to be a nice load when they get larger. Anyways, just asking so I can see if your putting in an incompatible one. I don't check the site much anymore, so I may not answer for a couple days but I am sure someone else will help if I don't. I will try to check here tomorrow AM though. Later...

hawkeye

Current residents: valentini/sharpnoise puffer (4 inches) and a niger(2.5 inches). I realize the niger will outgrow my tank, but he is pretty small for now. I have a good relationship with my LFS and he is willing to trade with me when a fish is giving me problems or is getting to big. Regardless of what I get (mini lion or something else) this will be my last fish for hopefully a few years, assuming all goes as planned, which never happens. I'm still not completely sold on the mini, but hopefully it will be an option. And once again I remind everyone that I realize the niger will outgrow my tank.