List of fish/inverts that hobbiests should avoid

K

kikithemermaid

What about batfish? I know they need very special diets.

litoallie

Lion_Crazz:
I have a 55 gallon tank, running a fx5 and a aquac remora protein skimmer on it and 2 bulbs T-5 lights. My tank has 2 true percula clown, 1 six line wrazze that never comes out, 8 peppermint shrimp and 2 skunk cleaner shrimp.
I am thinking about adding a red sea dejardinii tang, he is about 3 inches big. I know I probably will need to upgrade to a bigger tank when he grows bigger. Do you think he is a good addition? I might get a fire fish later on, but that's about it. When everything is more stable in a few months I will get some easy corals.
My question is: Do you think that the Desjardinii is a hardy fish? Are they easy to keep? I don't have a quarentine tank, but he's been at the LFS for about 3 months now. If parasite it will probably catch it by now , right? He had ick before, any chances he will catch it again?? Since tangs are ick magnents? Can I just fresh water dip him before I put him in my tank??
Thanks in advance..

lion_crazz

The sailfin will do fine in the 55 for at least a good bit of time. They are a very hardy fish.
Since he has already had ich, though, I would not be surprised if he gets it when he enters your tank. Surely a fish I would quarantine. A freshwater dip/bath will not remove all of the ich.

dpeter51

Originally Posted by sombra7740
http:///forum/post/1847018
i think christmas wrasse (ornate wrasse) needs to be researched or added.
i found this wrasse to be great looking but poor survival...my lfs also liked it and ordered some, two died in the lfs, i bought one and it dissapeared into the rocks or sand for 48 hours and showd up malled by the crabs.
my lfs wont purchase them anymore.
Bummer...I've had one for about 3 months now and he was doing great until a few days ago. He started hiding for a couple days at a time...then stopped coming out altogether. I tore my whole tank apart looking for the fella this evening to transfer him to my QT. He's completely gone, unless his dead carcass is still buried in the sand (I stirred it and found nothing) or in a cavity in one of the rocks.

They really are pretty.

texasmetal

The comment on Cuttlefish (being lumped in with jellyfish?) is not quite accurate. Sepia bandensis a "Dwarf Cuttlefish" is reasonably hardy, only grows to 4-5 inches, and only requires 30 gallons. They are being captive-bred on the hobby level. While they aren't peaceful enough to keep in a typical community reef tank, they are tolerant of their own kind as long as they are well fed. They do generally require live foods for the duration of their lives but sometimes do adapt to frozen silversides, krill, shrimp, etc. and can sometimes be weened onto frozen mysis within a month or two after hatching. Cephalopods have naturally short lifespans which has lead to the misconception that they are hard to keep.

man this is an awsome thread and i am saving it. my bangai and linkia fish thrived beautifully but i had a 180g tank with 300+ live rock so they did also get every type of food possible for a reef tank so no wonder i didnt have any problems but i will be getting another tank and it will be much smaller and i will keep all ur info in mind(as much as i can) and reffer back to it periodically.
u are a god among fish lion

ca161406

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
http:///forum/post/2546081
Definitely not. Powder blues are much easier to keep. Achilles are near impossible.
i hear once they adapt to tank life they are suuuper easy to keep. . . .its just that fist month or so that gets them.
they persuaded me that it was okay to get one under the right conditions. so when our 300 gets built ima get one
theyre my fav tang and i was disappointed until i talked to a few ppl

ginger17

HI, I have 2 sand sifting starfish that I have witnessed eating my hermit crabs. The LFS staff say starfish do not eat hermits, but I have watched them do it. Later they spit out a soft, jelly like substance like leftover shell with the calcium sucked out of it. Now I see them on your list of creatures to avoid. Should I take them back to the store for an exchange ? I have a 125g reef tank in the making. THANKS, ginger17

L

lnknprkpl

We have a horseshoe crab in our 55 gal tank...we bought it a couple months ago at the LFS. At the time, we had heard from people that they can get large, but usually don't live long enough to get that large...I guess it is a little late for this question, but how long do you think it will take for it to outgrow our tank? It is about 1-2 inches in diameter right now...

denise

Thanks for the info, I was intending to buy the Bangaii and now see that I need to make sure that they are captive bred or maybe go for the PJ Cardinals

lmecher

I must object strongly to the inclusion of all octopuses to this list. Mine has been a joy to me and my family. Containing him has not been an issue. My advice is to research any fish or invert you want to keep, do your homework and avoid buyers remorse.

denise

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
http:///forum/post/1816650
Soapfish is another very good one that I did not think of (that is usually pretty commonly available).
The stonefish is another good fish to add since like you said, they are so dangerous. Funny story, one time, I was diving down in the Bahamas and I swam over to this rock pile-up to check out the fish living in it. Well, it was a bit hazy, so I was really looking closely. All of a sudden, I realize I am staring into the face of a large stonefish. Let me tell you, I don't think I ever swam faster. :scared:

lol that had to be funny once u got to safty

J

jc germ

i have had a ribbon eel for the past two years and has been eating like a pig till last week it has gone on a hunger strike has not eaten since
any idea what i could possibly do

novahobbies

I don't know if you're still updating the list, but if you are you may want to rethink the blurb about pipefish. Yes they should be on the list, but not as seahorse tankmates as you mentioned. The general consensus among most seahorse keepers now is that the wild-caught pipefishes may transmit parasites to the tank-raised seahorses. The tank raised horses do not have the immunity to combat the wild bugs, and often fall sick.
I would suggest saying that some species of dragonface pipes may do well in non-LPS reef tanks, but generally all pipes should be kept in species-only tanks.

achvr

Thanks for all of the great information. I'm definitely going to bookmark these pages. I'm just starting research. I'ld like to start a saltwater tank, but have been reluctant because of my lack of knowledge. I have a small aquarium with a beta fish on my desk in my bedroom and I love it. I've always loved saltwater fish and wanted a nice tank. I will probably be investing in bits in pieces a little at a time and will invest in the test kit, live rock, etc... last