little creatures that come out at night

adesimone1

We just noticed these little bug looking things running thru my aquarium. On the Lr and cc they look almost like a very small version of a thousand legger. Can anyone help?
:help:

alyssia

If it's a pod they are good things to have. Very beneficial, and a sign of a healthy system.

adesimone1

Originally Posted by alyssia
If it's a pod they are good things to have. Very benificial, and a sign of a healthy system.
That's good to know. I have noticed alot of changes in my LR new feather dusters coming out everyday. A little bit of new growth in the LR

alyssia

Originally Posted by adesimone1
That's good to know. I have noticed alot of changes in my LR new feather dusters coming out everyday. A little bit of new growth in the LR

:cheer:

adesimone1

:cheer:
I don't have my protein skimmer up and running yet. My only problem so far is my nitrate level is 20 will that lower with the skimmer in place. Nitrite is 0
Ammonia is 0 ph is 8.1 and salt is at 1021

alyssia

I don't think a skimmer will lower your trates but once you get them down (through water changes) it should help keep them lower. Is this a reef or FOWLR? If it's a FOWLR trates of 20 are fine. If you plan on keeping any inverts you should raise your sg up to 1.025-1.026 though.

adesimone1

I don't think a skimmer will lower your trates but once you get them down (through water changes) it should help keep them lower. Is this a reef or FOWLR? If it's a FOWLR trates of 20 are fine. If you plan on keeping any inverts you should raise your sg up to 1.025-1.026 though.
New at this what is a FOWLR? I have some hermits and a chocolate chip star

taznut

how do i get those little bugs in my tank... i would like to get a mandrin but dont think i can...

alyssia

Originally Posted by adesimone1
New at this what is a FOWLR? I have some hermits and a chocolate chip star

FOWLR=fish only with live rock
You definitely need to bump up the salinity SLOWLY for the star and hermits.

alyssia

Originally Posted by taznut
how do i get those little bugs in my tank... i would like to get a mandrin but dont think i can...

You should have them w/your LR. How much LR do you have and how big/old is your tank? Do you have a refugium?

adesimone1

FOWLR=fish only with live rock
You definitely need to bump up the salinity SLOWLY for the star and hermits.
I have had these guys for 6 months and found a hitchhiker a spider star. They are very active. My one peice of LR has some coral on it 2 species not sure what it is along with some apitasia. Not sure which route to take. We just switched over to a wet dry system used a fluval canister at 1st. I'm guessing I should wait for another cycle before adding any fish.

doglvr

You'll find all kinds of new "creatures" coming from your live rock over the first few months. As my tank cycled & established there were all kinds of surprises, good ones and bad ones. The site below was very helpful in getting ID's:
http://melevsreef.com/id/

taznut

You should have them w/your LR. How much LR do you have and how big/old is your tank? Do you have a refugium?
29gal about 2 months no refugium and 17lbs of live rock... and like i said i dont think i can and wont get one i think it will die... i just wanted to see some of those bugs...

adesimone1

Originally Posted by taznut
29gal about 2 months no refugium and 17lbs of live rock... and like i said i dont think i can and wont get one i think it will die... i just wanted to see some of those bugs...
I noticed the little guys last night had my LR since May. The only thing we started recently was using reef supplements. Alot of feather dusters came out. New growths on the LR and color changes deep burgundy, light purple etc.

taznut

ok only had mine since july 31 so i have a little while... i just started using reef supplements as well... how big will those feather dusters get??? ive had one since i set up my lr and just now found like 3 more... i like them...