Little Giant vs. Mag

causeidm

Ok, I just want to be absolutely sure I am getting the right pumpfor my new tank. It is a 125 AGA with built in overflows and the standard AGA overflow kit. I want a pump that is going to be easy to use and that is going to pump out just that right amount so it equilizes with the overflows.

robchuck

I've been running the Little Giant 4 MDQ-SC on my 150 gallon FOWLR for almost two weeks now. It was louder than I expected when I first fired it up, but now it runs extremely quiet and efficient. This is the first external pump I've ever used, and was concerned that the noise would be too much for me. It quieted down a little after the break-in period, but the noise was still noticible (as in the tank sounded like my dishwasher). I did a little research, and found that folks have had luck by placing a mousepad under the pump. That's exactly what I did, and it made a HUGE difference in silencing the pump. I can't hear it now unless I open the cabinet. Make sure that the pump is screwed onto the stand, and you should have no problems.

causeidm

Great you guys, it's 50-50! between the two pumps that I really can't make the decision about. Mag, more water Giant, more preasure. I don't know what to do now :eek:

causeidm

Well, just in case any of you who cared wanted to know, I ended up getting the mag 24, it was on sale and it got 50% of the vote. I am pretty happy with my order, we'll see how it goes once I get it.

drue131

I have a 120 gallon reef tank I am in the process of setting up and it was looking to get a iwaki but the american version someone said it wasn't as good as the Jap.. version. and its to expensive. so I decided either on the little giant or the mag. I had a mag for a year until I got tired of my 180. and it was fine but I am thinking about trying the little giant. but I like the water flow of the mag. I have heard a few bad things about hooking the mag external. and more ideas so I can make my mind up thanks

logan15

i have heard from members on the board mags are the best to get as far as effiecent and endurance and last the longest i dont own one yet but if i got a pump i would get a mag diffently
Hope This Helps,
Logan:p