Little star fish?

beaver

So, my tank is new, I have a sand sifting star and some hermits also an emirald crab some snails. Today I saw that there is a tiny star fish in there about the size of my pinky nail. How do stars reproduce? where did this tiny thing come from?

superhero

It has probally come from ur lr im almost 100% sure. I have hadf a couple that i got but i dont see them anymore, its nothing to be alarmed aobut and i doubt if he will reproduce but ask ophiura, she is the star exepert :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish

beaver

Hmm, Its been almost a month since I put the LR in there. I would have thought I would have seen um before now.. but what do I know lol. I can accept the LR idea. I hope he lives :) has 6 arms.

E

exile415

It Prbably came from your live rock. Live rock carries a LOT of living things. Once my friend bought one and about 20 little crabs came out. it was funny but then so cool.

ophiura

The common hitch hiker seastar is Asterina, and you commonly do not notice them for awhile. They reproduce easily by splitting, and do not get much larger than a nickel or so. A search should turn up loads of info, though sadly perhaps not pictures yet.
I would also search for sand sifter star, one I do not recommend as most are doomed to die of starvation in 6 or so months - perhaps up to a year - depending on tank size. I strongly recommend you see if it takes to spot feeding (anything meaty placed near an arm).

beaver

Thanks for the info, Ill check into that, I havent tryed spot feading the sand sifter but Ill give it a shot. It ate a small snail when I first put it in there, since then I have added more snails, slightly bigger ones that I dont think it could eat. Ill try some shrimp or see what they have at the LFS.