Little white "starfish" on glass

chichi

Our tank is about 6-7 weeks along and last week we started seeing those little spirobid worms on the glass. I'm told this is normal for an immature tank, they're not really bad and will eventually go away. Anyway, we still have them and that's fine, but I noticed what looks like a little white starfish on the glass right at a spot where the LR is almost touching. I checked on it and it looked like it was "crystalizing" like a snowflake or something. Now tonight it is on the LR and looks "spongier". I think it's kind of cool but since I have no idea what it is I was wondering if anyone out there was familiar with this. Thanks in advance!

reefreak29

Originally Posted by CHICHI
Our tank is about 6-7 weeks along and last week we started seeing those little spirobid worms on the glass. I'm told this is normal for an immature tank, they're not really bad and will eventually go away. Anyway, we still have them and that's fine, but I noticed what looks like a little white starfish on the glass right at a spot where the LR is almost touching. I checked on it and it looked like it was "crystalizing" like a snowflake or something. Now tonight it is on the LR and looks "spongier". I think it's kind of cool but since I have no idea what it is I was wondering if anyone out there was familiar with this. Thanks in advance!

can u get a pic

chichi

I will check the hitchhiker thread. I don't yet know how to get pictures on here, I'm still new. I hope they are good. Thanks!

aztec reef

they multiply as your tank matures. but i'm sure it was a hitchiker of your lr is it a mini brittle star?

chichi

I don't think it's a brittle star. It's itsy bitsy right now, maybe a couple mm in diameter. Now that it is attached to the LR it's slowly moving and is harder to differentiate, but it is symmetrical. Actually, after looking closely at the other LR, I see at least one more. I'm going to keep investigating! :thinking:

chichi

Hey, thanks for the link!!! That's it!!! So far I counted two in my tank, and one is missing two limbs. I kinda like these guys. I'm glad to hear they're mostly good. Thanks again!!!