little white things on my glass what are they?

garrett042

yea i just set up my 55gal fowlr and i noticed that i had these little white things crawling on my glass and they are really small can any body tell me what these things are i would really appreciate it :notsure:

teen

most likely copepods, which are a good thing. do a search for them, youll find a lot of info on them.

teen

there most likely just copepods, which are a good thing. nothing to be alarmed about. you should see more of them when lights are out, and then when you turn your lights on, a lot of them will hide.

stuckinfla

Most copepods are not crawling around on the glass, you either must try to get a pic or do a search for identity.

teen

actually, a lot of copepods are crawling around on the glass. a lot of them hide as soon as you turn your lights on, so they dispurse into the rocks or sand.

fly75

WOW copepods, I wish I would have known. I saw hundreds on my glass recently and had no idea what they were so I frantically started scraping and netting as many as I could.

jimreemts

I might be why off here but couldn't they be a type of anemone? I have heard there is a very bad, very small anemone that can piggyback his way into your tank on other coral and will multiply very quickly.

cyclops

They are Spirorbid Worms.
Tiny white dots about the size of a pinhead can be found in reef tanks, overflow boxes , and sumps. They are Spirorbid Worms, which are filter feeders. It won't hurt to scrape them off if they obstuct your view, but they are harmless. Reef-safe.
Hope this helps

teen

Originally Posted by cyclops
They are Spirorbid Worms.
Tiny white dots about the size of a pinhead can be found in reef tanks, overflow boxes , and sumps. They are Spirorbid Worms, which are filter feeders. It won't hurt to scrape them off if they obstuct your view, but they are harmless. Reef-safe.
Hope this helps
spirorbid worms dont crawl. there common in new tanks, but youre right, there harmless.

cyclops

Originally Posted by teen
spirorbid worms dont crawl. there common in new tanks, but youre right, there harmless.
In the starter thread he did say "just set up my 55gal fowlr" so i assumed it was new. But regardless they are both harmless I had them both in my tank when it was new also.

teen

i was saying youre right, they could be spirorbid worms since it is a new tank, but he also said they crawled, and spirorbid worms dont crawl, their kinda stationary.

teen

Originally Posted by fish-man-t
Spirorbid Worms for sure and not realy a bad thing for a new take make for good food
spirorbid worms dont crawl around, and in his first post he said " i had these little white things crawling on my glass" which imo makes them some type of pod.

alyssia

Originally Posted by teen
spirorbid worms dont crawl around, and in his first post he said " i had these little white things crawling on my glass" which imo makes them some type of pod.

Yep