Live Brine Shrimp.. What do they eat?

W

weatherby

Hello all,
I recently purchased a few tsps worth of Brine shrimp from a chain pet store and, as my mind sometimes is apt to do it wondered on the subject a bit...
Do the Brine shrimp need to be fed too? :notsure:
Or are they filter feeders and can do ok while waiting their fate in a 'breeding box' (one of those nylon wrapped frames that you're supposed to put like little fish in when they first hatch?)?
Just curious. Honest. ***)

chipmaker

I hav kept BS for considerable time frames and usually put in a liquid fry food called infusoria. It seems to work just fine, but I never tried to keep em in a DT and feed em. I do keep a 2.5 gal tank with live brine shrimp in it for treats. Liquid fry feed may be hard to find, but I know they have a fine powder, that I have seen. You can also mash up hard boiled egg yolk for BS feed......but I would not put it in a DT.
Out of curisoity, how much do they charge for a spoon full of BS. Never ever have I seen them offered up live for sale.....Just too easy to hatch I guess.

hot883

Brine shrimp are only good for fish when they first hatch so basically you are wasting your time and money. Sorry

clintjj

Adult brine shrimp have 500 times the protien as newly hatched brine shrimp.
they are not good for newly hatched fry but are great for your adult or growing fish.

hot883

Originally Posted by clintjj
Adult brine shrimp have 500 times the protien as newly hatched brine shrimp.
they are not good for newly hatched fry but are great for your adult or growing fish.
Thats why fish can starve to death eating brine. :notsure: Just blew that theory away. To many people think brine is good for fish it is NOT. They will die in front of you pigging out on brine. Live or frozen.

clintjj

You eat just frech fries and see how long you live! I nor did anyone else say that they would. But as everyone ask and says they are good for a treat and do have amiono acid and protien that fish can use.

reefkprz

Brine shrimp have a fairly narrow window of high nutritional value. If one does not feed the shrimp to the the larvae within about 8 hours (8 hours is on the high side of the equation), the shrimp lose a significant percentage of the shrimp's original nutritional advantage. The shrimp use that nutritional value for their own development as it was intended, but because of their rapid development, much of that value become waste into the water column. There are ways to compensate for that nutritional lose but the methods are more complicated and costly than simply feeding the nauplii within the eight hour window (a window that may narrow as the temperature of the shrimp hatching water goes up).

clintjj

Does anyone do any research for themselves or do they just listen to everyone else? Remember the world was thought to be flat for many years!
Now if you do your own research and still come to the same conclusion then it was good info, But not everything you hear is true. You have a computer just search the subject, and go to more than one site. Not every one on here is the sharpest pencil in the box but they could be if they would just do research.

hot883

Does anyone do any research for themselves or do they just listen to everyone else? Remember the world was thought to be flat for many years!
Now if you do your own research and still come to the same conclusion then it was good info, But not everything you hear is true. You have a computer just search the subject, and go to more than one site. Not every one on here is the sharpest pencil in the box but they could be if they would just do research.
I'm sure that smart comment was diected at me and I will be the adult and not reply to you anylonger. I base EVERYTHING I say on here and do in my own tank with over 20 years experience so if ya don't like it; tough leave it out of your daily plan. No diff. to me. Good day!

clintjj

My comment wasn't directed at anyone! I was simply telling people not to believe evrything they hear. This hobby has many newbies who hear something and think it's a fact. If we are to help save what reefs and fish that are left in the ocean then people had better start doing research. Knowledge is power and the smarter the people are that are in this hobby are then the better off our tanks and oceans will be. I got my first aquarium when I was five and am now 36. I used to have to go to the libary to get info now it's on the internet, with information so easy to get it's a shame people don't research more. That is what i'm saying Sorry if I offended you

1journeyman

Does anyone do any research for themselves or do they just listen to everyone else? Remember the world was thought to be flat for many years!.........
Clint, you'll earn much more respect here if you learn to disagree without insulting people.
I too agree that adult brine is nutritionally worthless.
As for personal research:
Fenner's website:
"Brine are nutritionally worthless." and
"Brine shrimp should be avoided because of its poor nutritional value, but it can be used as a treat"
Reef Aquariums by Tullock mentions that Shedd's Aquarium drips newly hatched Brine for Paddlefish.

clintjj

I see I'm offending people and that wasn't my intention. I will not say that brine shrimp has all of the nutrition that fish need But they do have some and the comment I am replying to says they have none! I agree that they are to be used as a treat only. It just got under my skin because there is so much false info being passed as gospel.

1journeyman

I see I'm offending people and that wasn't my intention. I will not say that brine shrimp has all of the nutrition that fish need But they do have some and the comment I am replying to says they have none! I agree that they are to be used as a treat only. It just got under my skin because there is so much false info being passed as gospel.
No worries.
As Bang said on the other post, Brine can have some value if they are well fed.
Realistically, however, why use them when so many better foods are available?

reefkprz

now seeing as this was directly under my post, I figure its (partially) in response to what I said, If you re read my original post you will note several things
1 I love researching, yes I do my own research.
2 I stated that their peak nutritional value was highest before 8 hours. that they lost a signifigant percent of their original nutritional value, doesnt mean they have no value, they just arent as good after 8 hours.
3 I noted that there are ways to compensate for lost nutritional value (good foods and such) but IMO not really worth the effort.
lashing out and saying people on here arent the brightest bulb on the christmas tree, isnt really gonna make people want to try and hold an intellectual conversation with you.

bronco300

If you enrich the baby brine shrimp then they can have soem value....but it of course takes more money and time to do that than to get other food for the fish...takes 24+ to hatch, change water, 24+ to grow mouths, and another 12 or so for good enrichment...unless its an absolute i wouldnt think itd be worth it....i'll be doing it for dwarf seahorses...i wouldnt touch the mess for fish

W

weatherby

Originally Posted by chipmaker
I hav kept BS for considerable time frames and usually put in a liquid fry food called infusoria. It seems to work just fine, but I never tried to keep em in a DT and feed em. I do keep a 2.5 gal tank with live brine shrimp in it for treats. Liquid fry feed may be hard to find, but I know they have a fine powder, that I have seen. You can also mash up hard boiled egg yolk for BS feed......but I would not put it in a DT.
Out of curisoity, how much do they charge for a spoon full of BS. Never ever have I seen them offered up live for sale.....Just too easy to hatch I guess.

I don't know, I think it was like $3.00 for 3 heaping tsps of drained shrimp. Seem to be quite a few in there, hence why I got the breeding pen to house them.
FYI to all: I don't plan on them being overly nutritious, that's why I have the Mysis, silversides, squid, krill, emerald entree, plankton etc. I just figured the fish might like to chase their food for a change instead of having it handed to them all the time. :happyfish ***)

xdave

It's true that adult brine have a lot of protein. They are almost pure protein. This does not blow away the theory about them being non nutritious for fish. If you feed adult fish nothing but brine (or any pure protein food) the will become malnourished.
To answer the original question, powder pea soup mix.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by xDave
It's true that adult brine have a lot of protein. They are almost pure protein. This does not blow away the theory about them being non nutritious for fish. If you feed adult fish nothing but brine (or any pure protein food) the will become malnourished.
To answer the original question, powder pea soup mix.
That's a great point.
Isn't "rabbit starvation" caused by eating a high protein, low fat diet? I wonder if part of the problem with feeding brine is that they are too lean.