live feeding, amphipods, copepodes

Wisehart

First off where is or why do we not have threads on feeding?

I was wondering if anyone has successfully kept amphipods or copepodes thriving for their fish to feed on? If so what breeds do you use and how did you establish them? I want my dragonet to be able to eat when ever he desires. Thanks

lmforbis

I have a large population in my fuge. Some came with my chaeto the rest were tisbe pods I bought at SWF and seeded the fuge with.

Wisehart

I have purchased a bag of 250 amphipod and copepod mix and a 3000 bag of copepod but I put all of them in my display tank, as I have not set up my refugium yet. I guess I sort of jumped the gun buying a dragonet that needs live food.

Wisehart

Thanks. I hope I can get him to eat frozen soon. Should I try injecting them in front of him? He moves anytime I get near him. Then again he is new so may still be shy.

Wisehart

Bicolor angel, flame angel, sailfin, Koran, six line wrasse, pink or purple little fish i forget the name of and a clown fish.

pegasus

Thanks. I hope I can get him to eat frozen soon. Should I try injecting them in front of him? He moves anytime I get near him. Then again he is new so may still be shy.
He'll probably always be that way. Mine still moves away any time I get too close to him, and I've had him 2 1/2 years... :(

pegasus

The sooner you can get your refugium set up, the better. Pods need a safe place to grow and breed. Sorry, I can't remember the size of your tank off the top of my head, but it typically takes a tank of 75 gallons or larger to provide a substantial pod population for a single dragonet. Tisbe copepods are highly recommended for dragonets, as they are substrate dwellers. Dragonets are grazers, so pods that spend their time in the water column are of no value to them.

Wisehart

It is a 80 gallon with about 100 lbs of live figi rock and 1-2 inches of live sand. The refugium will be made from a 50 gallon.

jay0705

Pegasus is always rt on w the info. I have a pair of green mandys and pair of scooter blennys in my 56. Pods be doomed lol, they all eat frozen tho. Start w brine, cyclopese, prawn roe. Then mix in some mysis. It takes them a bit to realize the larger mysis is food. That said I tried some jumbo mysis the other day. Holy sh**!!!! Lol there the size of ghost shrimp. My one scooter kept pecking at it, lol poor bastard finally gave up

pegasus

I tried some jumbo mysis the other day. Holy sh**!!!! Lol there the size of ghost shrimp. My one scooter kept pecking at it, lol poor bastard finally gave up
Wow... that's so cruel. You know they have tiny mouths, yet you chose to torture the little guy with a "giant" shrimp? That's it... you'll be getting a call from the SPCA shortly... :p