live feeding, amphipods, copepodes

jay0705

Lol ha ha it was meant for either the clown, chromis, or pseudo. They didn't want it either. I think the hermits got it

pegasus

Lol ha ha it was meant for either the clown, chromis, or pseudo. They didn't want it either. I think the hermits got it
Sorry, I couldn't resist! Surprised one of the other fish didn't eat it. Oh well, hermits have to eat too... lol!

chrisely24

Question....
I do not have a Mandarin as of yet and may not for a while. I have quite a few pods in my fuge that came from wherever.
I know that a lot of the pods are making it into the DT as I save a bunch of them whenever I change my socks.

Do you guys actually feed some from the fuge with a net or just let them flow through the tank.

I was thinking of ordering some soon just to get the population up and running for when I need them.

pegasus

I do nothing. They'll make it to the DT on their own, while maintaining a good breeding population in the fuge.

Kristin1234

I ordered a julians thing off of Amazon and bag fed them ( thanks Jay! ) before even putting the pair in the display. Now when they see that feeder coming to the water they meet me with it and eat right out of it. I do this because if I was just to pour in the mysis/brine, my other fish would devour it before my draggonettes ever see it. It has worked very well for me, I have them separated and both eat from it and come right up to me.

When I went on vacation I added like 6 bags of tisbe pods to be sure they would eat while I was gone. At night if I shine a flashlight into the Rocks, I see them crawling everywhere so I don't know if my mandarins are eating them or not.

beaslbob

FWIW some culture phyto (micro algae) and rotifers in 2 liter jars. the phyto feeds rotifers.

my .02

pegasus

FWIW some culture phyto (micro algae) and rotifers in 2 liter jars. the phyto feeds rotifers.

my .02
Rotifers are a little too small for a mandarin dragonet. Good for corals and fish fry, but not so much for an adult dragonet. Tisbe copepods are the best live food for these delicate fish. Just my 2c...

pegasus

When I went on vacation I added like 6 bags of tisbe pods to be sure they would eat while I was gone. At night if I shine a flashlight into the Rocks, I see them crawling everywhere so I don't know if my mandarins are eating them or not.
Wow... you must have really good eyesight! LOL! I can't see copepods on my rocks, but I can see amphipods. The only place I can see copes are on the glass, with most of them in the calmer areas behind the power heads and near corners... like tiny white dots scooting around.

Kristin1234

Wow... you must have really good eyesight! LOL! I can't see copepods on my rocks, but I can see amphipods. The only place I can see copes are on the glass, with most of them in the calmer areas behind the power heads and near corners... like tiny white dots scooting around.
I don't know exactly what type they are but they look like little lice bugs. Lol

pegasus

I don't know exactly what type they are but they look like little lice bugs. Lol
Adult Tisbe copepods are 0.7 - 1.0 mm (0.0275591 - 0.0393701 inch) in length. They are very, very small... and are similar in appearance to mites. Adult Amphipods average about 10 mm (0.393701 inch) in length. That's somewhere between 3/8 and 1/2 inch in length. Quite a bit of difference in size. If they're easily visible on the rocks, it's most likely amphipods. The type of Amphipods most common in our aquariums are easily recognizable by the "C" shape of their bodies when they are feeding. When they stretch out, they look similar to a slender pill bug with fairly long antennae. They typically have brown bands that run around their segments, and while some amphipods can be a very dark brown, others can be completely white.

jay0705

Mandys will eat amp pods too. I'am starting to think a mandy will try to eat almost any small shrimp like critter. I was feeding my dwarf lion last nt. Live ghost shrimp, hopefully just short term lol but anyway my mandarin followed the shrimp around pecking at it and holding on for a short time!!! Lol

Wisehart

Kristin where are you getting your amphipods? Fishbowl told me they could order copepodes but I'm looking for amphipods.