live food

julius

If your going to feed live try live brine shrimp. I feed nightcrawlers, mealworms and live brine shrimp. That's the only thing that are live that I feed my triggers, and lions never feeders.

sometimes lion fish dont eat food that isnt live though...right???
also i know its bad to feed fw feeders....but what about saltwater fish....

julius

Ive had to entice my lion to eat live that's all he would eat. But after a month or two he started eating krill because I stopped feeding feeders. So if you get a lion feed krill, or live brine shrimp you cant go wrong. But i dont know about sw feeders.

john reed

Just curious. My LFS guy says that its possible to give your fish potentialing a disease from feeding them live brine. He even sells it in his store but he said thier is a chance. You guys haven't had any problems?

julius

From my experience I never had any probs feeding live brine shrimp But I do know fw feeders will eventually kill your fish if fed to often.

jumpfrog

I converted some mollies to sw to try to entice my lion who was on hunger strike. Lion never went for them either and eventually died. Now we have a molly tank with a growing population. Making lots of babies. And my wife now loves the mollies and wouldn't consider them becoming food.
I'm guessing that if you farm sw fish and feed them a balanced diet then any other fish eating them would benefit from the meal.
Any reasons why that wouldn't work?

D

daniel411

How did you convert Mollies to sw? I've heard they can live awhile in it but a full conversion? Just slow acclimation or how did you do it. Are they actually breeding now? Can you post a picture?

jumpfrog

This pic is of the skunk clowns but you can see a black molly in the back. I always do my acclimation with a plastic two cup measuring cup. Added the fish and squirt from a turkey baster with tank saltwater. Started with one cup of water and fish. When the measuring cup was full, poured out half and started over. I do this 3 times with a squirt every 10-15 minutes. The original mollies are still going strong 3-4 months later. They've had babies about ever 4-6 weeks and the babies of course have never known freshwater. Very active, great eaters and look cool being all black with a mated pair of orange skunk clowns.

jumpfrog

Mollies are considered brackish water fish that live on the margins between fresh and saltwater. Even in freshwater tanks they like a little salt in their water. I don't know about the long term effects of a constant salt water environment. I'm keeping salinity at about 1.020~1.021. I figure if they're breeding they must like it ok.

jumpfrog

I feed the prepackaged fry food. They seem to do ok with it and before you know it are eating flakes. I feed mostly Formula 2 for the mollies with some Formula 1 twice a week.

squidd

Originally posted by bbronco
i have 3 mollys that i did the same thing too!!! they now live with my snowflake eel!!!

Not for long...;)
:cool:

bbronco

yea i think eel got one last night!!! thats what they are in there for!!! so if i forget to feed him he has a back up!!!
i have not hurd that guppys could live in sw?