Live mysis shrimp

flower

I seed my SH tank and refugium with amphipods...Then I was searching for live food and came across live mysis shrimp, I feed the horses frozen mysis...could I seed their tank with mysis? 200 count costs $70.00 and the ad said they feed on bottled phytoplankton

teresaq

Why do you want live food?? usually only feed live to sick horses. from what I have read mysis are hard to raise, they are cannibalistic. Why spend 70 bucks on something that will eat each others. lol If you just want something for them to hunt as a snack the amphipods are fine. There are also differant varities of reef pods. google these ReefPods Pseudodiaptomus and these ReefPods Tangerine
Also if you look around you can find mysis alot cheaper. I was look at the source and found 200 for 39.99
T

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/388517/live-mysis-shrimp#post_3426534
Why do you want live food?? usually only feed live to sick horses. from what I have read mysis are hard to raise, they are cannibalistic. Why spend 70 bucks on something that will eat each others. lol If you just want something for them to hunt as a snack the amphipods are fine. There are also differant varities of reef pods. google these ReefPods Pseudodiaptomus and these ReefPods Tangerine
T
Thanks T,
Your right, all I want is a hunt and snack kind of thing. I also want to add something to the SH tank...it's so empty in there, and the tank is way too new for a mandarin. So looking at my stocklist, what can I add? I purchased the pods and food for them...I will acclimate them according to the discription in a 5g tank and then release them at night into the tank. I didn't know they had to acclimated if you wanted to seed the tank...no wonder I didn't see any real population and after a few days time nothing...
My livestock list:

hectors Goby
2 yellow clown gobies
4 erectus SHs
3 peppermint shrimps
Various snails for a CUC

novahobbies

I'm with T. I like the idea of live mysids only if you have a seriously reluctant eater, but I don't think you need to spend that kind of dough. A healthy population of amphipods (properly acclimated) will be great for in-between snacks. My personal favorite copepod is still the Tisbe variety. Most of the others are pelagic animals, and in my opinion of little use to those looking to keep mandarins.
As for other fish, I'd go with a firefish. Very passive, won't get in the way of the seahorses feeding, and when it feels safe, out in the water column a lot.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/388517/live-mysis-shrimp#post_3426604
I'm with T. I like the idea of live mysids only if you have a seriously reluctant eater, but I don't think you need to spend that kind of dough. A healthy population of amphipods (properly acclimated) will be great for in-between snacks. My personal favorite copepod is still
the Tisbe variety. Most of the others are pelagic animals, and in my opinion of little use to those looking to keep mandarins.
As for other fish, I'd go with a firefish. Very passive, won't get in the way of the seahorses feeding, and when it feels safe, out in the water column a lot.
Every firefish I ever had, committed sushi jumping out of thre tank, even through egg crate. I read a Royal Gramma is only threat level of 2 or an orchid Dottyback..what do you guys think?

flower

I was going to order some copepods frome Seahorse source...the shipping is crazy to pay for just copepods..back to the drawing board.

teresaq

What about a barnacal orniment and a couple of barnacal bennys for your tank.
Are you planning on adding another light?? Some finger leathers or corky fingers would also look good.
I am sending you a pm
T

novahobbies

Ooh, barnacle blennys would be cool! I don't know about royal grammas. I've managed to kill four at last count. I'm not allowed to try any more, lol. Instead of egg crate, why not do a mesh top? It's so easy to do....

flower

I look at my tank today and I see red developing all over. The snails eat some but it's now even on the sand. It isn't thick enough to call it cyano but I'm sure it is. Lights are off. On top of it all I have a whistling sound, it's driving me crazy...I even opened up the valves 100% and I still have it. I closed each valve one at a time and I still hear it....I turned off the pumps and restarted...it is still there. It starts out low and gets worse. I'm going to do some water tests and see what I see. I have some change water made up and ready.
Now out of nowhere the whistle is low and not as high pitched.
I don't have chaeto, I don't have any macroalgae in the fuge only rocks and a hose. I don't like the way Barnical blennies look. The whistle set my nerves on edge and I'm in a pissy mood now because I can't get it to stop...IT IS IN MY BEDROOM AND WORSE THAN A CRICKET!!!!
Instead of coral or a fish I wll have to get another power head or something to fight the cyano. I don't think I have enough flow. The larger holes at the top of my spray bar returns made the pressure of the lower holes of little effect. I'm hanging my head in defeat. OMG..the whistle was coming from the skimmer! I moved the knob and it shut up.

novahobbies

Flower, I just want to say I love these In The Moment stream of consciousness diatribes you sometimes post!
Though I'm sorry you were in a pissy mood about the whistle, I'm glad you found out what it was. Was this your Tunze nano skimmer? Mine's never made that noise.....strange. But I know the feeling about noises you just CAN'T PINPOINT NO MATTER WHAT. At least you're not going to be sleeping to that sound tonight.
I just want to point out one thing....you're still in that New Tank stage here. You're BOUND to get at least a little cyano until your tank balances. I've never had a tank that didn't go through at least a brief cyano stage during the initial few months. I think you should get the extra powerhead...you're the best judge of your own flow... but I certainly don't think it's cause to hang your head in defeat.
Now as for your sump. Chaeto is your friend. A hunk of Chaeto, combined with a 5 dollar shop clamp reflector and a 65 kelvin swirly bulb, will help your pod population and your filtration tremendously. It should also help manage the nutrients and keep them locked away so you'll have less cyano. But you already know this. I'm just reminding you because I'm sure the whistle is making you forgetful.