live plant added to new refugium

al mc

What kind of plant? Mangroves usually do best when planted. Chaeto is free floating. Other type?

renogaw

Originally Posted by bimm3rb0y
http:///forum/post/2469027
i think its seaweed...thats what my lfs told me...i got it from them for free...
you need to know what type you got.
most commons are:
chaeto, caleurpa (however you spell it), and mangroves. there are some red macro algaes and kelp as well, but "seaweed" is too broad a term for anyone to help you with.
can you post a pic?

tomatoclown

it really dowesn't matter if the plants loat on top of the water or if you put them on a rock. I actually just rubber banded my plants to a rock and put that in the refuguim.

bimm3rb0y

also...i have these little critters at the bottom of my refugium? looks like bugs but i'm sure what they are...anybody know?

N

nereef

plant looks like feather caulerpa. leave it on the rocks it came on.

bimm3rb0y

is it necessary to leave my refugium light on 24/7 with this plant in it? could i get away without leaving the light on 24/7? if so how long could i leave it on for?

N

nereef

ideally, you would have a timer on your display and a timer on your refugium. have the fuge on a reverse lighting schedule from the display. i.e. when your display lights are on the fuge lights are off and vise versa.

bimm3rb0y

the reason i ask is because the light for the refugium bothers my mom during the night and was just wondering if the refugium with the plants be ok without light during the night...