Live rock algae...

corbettb

My tank is newly cycled. I have about 60 pounds of base rock and I put in about 20 lbs of live to cycle with. Now the live rock has grown a bunch of what I think is algae. It looks pretty much like grass growing all over it. I put in a cleaner crew of snails and they do a great job on the tank glass algae but nothing to this. What can I do to get rid of it?

lesa

Is the algea green? If so that sounds like hair algea. How long has your tank been cycling? What kind of water are you using? Give all info plus your reading so someone can help you.

birdy

I do not recommend a lawnmower blenny for getting rid of hair algae, you have less than a 50% chance of them even touching the stuff, it is better to figure out why the algae is growing and fix the problem. As Lesa said post everything you can tell us about the tank.

beaslbob

I think when the cleaner crew runs out of algae on the glass they will find the algae on the rock. Also if the rock algae is brown/red that is very common for newly cycled tanks. Brown/red consume phosphates which can be high in new tanks. After awhile the phosphates are reduced and green algae starts to replace the brown/red.
I recommend (if you don't have already) macro algaes or marine plants in the system somplace. They will consume the nitrAtes and phosphates and therefore limit the "ugly" algaes.

nacl-man

Originally posted by Buzz
My LMB won't go near it.

yup... mine never touched it when I had it.
Your cleanup critters will
go after it in a while. Go with the one per gallon rule (one cleanup critter for each gallon of water). Works like a charm. However, if it gets really long I've found that nothing except your fingers or a pair of tongs will get it outa there! :p
HTH.
Cheers!

T

thomas712

CorbettB- Welcome to the Saltwaterfish.com forum :)
Soundsl like you do have hair algea, something we don't want. Remember this if you forget anything else.
"Nitrates and Phosphates are equal to fertilizer and will cause all kinds of bad algeas to occur."
Your lighting can also be a factor in this.
Now if you can positivly identify your algea as the hair algea then there are ways that you can reduce the nutrients that are feeding it. I personally do not recommend getting a fish to do the job as this does not cure the problem.
Your nitrates and your phosphates may be the problem and to reduce them you can try the following steps.
Phosphates:
The use of a phosphate sponge which are beads or chips of a porous material designed for the absorbsion of PO4. Simply place in a micron bag and put it in a high flow area.
Dripping a kalkwasser solution to maintain alkalinity and calcium can reduce the amount of phosphates in a tank.
Be careful about feeding, many foods that we feed our fish contain phosphates, particularly frozen foods.
Water chages using RO or RO/DI water
Nitrates:
There are also Nitrate sponges, use just like the PO4 removers.
The use of Macro Algea's or magroves in a sump or fuge or seperate planted tank that is attached to the system.
The use of a DSB or deep sand bed, can process the nitrates out of the system by completing the denitrification cycle and coverting them to a harmless gas that escapes the aquarium
Reduce your feeding and the fish will reduce thier waste
A protien skimmer will also assist in removing the dissolved organic compounds created by fish waste and uneaten food by removing them before they become a problem.
Water changes using RO or RO/DI water.
Good luck
Thomas

T

thomas712

Originally posted by beaslbob
I recommend (if you don't have already) macro algaes or marine plants in the system somplace. They will consume the nitrAtes and phosphates and therefore limit the "ugly" algaes.

Macro algea's will reduce nitrates and phosphates :eek:
Welcome to the light Bob :D
Thomas

tlk

Originally posted by doodle1800
Why are you guys so hard on Bob? - I've noticed on other threads that you guys tell others not to listen to him. wazzup?

If you have read the other posts, then you should know why. Please don't rehash it on this thread as well. It is getting old.

buzz

doodle1800 - longer story than just that. But I don't think anyone was trying to be negative about him here. Thomas sounded to me like he was giving him a pat on the back for realizing the value of certain methods, and TLK was just trying to keep things from skewing off subject here. But yeah, I hear what you're saying. There are ways to keep from fueling the proverbial fire. :D

leboeuf

Sheesh dude, it wasn't directed at you. It was about the bob comment. No crying going on, just wish members would answer questions and not go off in a different direction. No smart a$$ comments either, i think it was appropriate!