Live Rock and copper

theirr

I ran my system with copper for a couple of months to get rid of a bad ick problem. It had live rock and sand in it. Do you think I ruined the live rock and sand? All of the copper is out of the system now. I used "copper power".
Thanks!

lion_crazz

If the live rock was in there when you dosed the copper, then you killed the live rock. You will need to reseed it with more "live" rock.

theirr

What do you mean by reseed? Does that mean that I need bacteria to start to grow on the rock again? Can't you just leave it in there and that will happen? I have 40 lbs in there.

fishnerd

All of your invertebrates on the rock probably died. The beneficial bacteria on/in your rock is probably fine, so the rock will still work as a filter. If you want any "critters" on your rock, you will need to re-establish the rock by adding some new live rock and allow the sponges, plants, corals, etc to migrate to your existing rock.
Keep an eye on your ammonia, as the now dead inverts may foul your water quality.

scoobydoo

I believe the copper soaks into the rock and you will never be able to get rid of it. I think you'd be better off starting with all new rock. I'm not sure, maybe someone else will know.

theirr

I have heard this before about the copper soaking into the rocks. Is this true? Your opinion please... Are the rocks OK, maybe not as good as before but after some aging in the tank will be better - or are they dead?

scoobydoo

I think the copper will always be present now in the rock and you will continue to have problems with inverts. Fish only would be ok.

fishnerd

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
I think the copper will always be present now in the rock and you will continue to have problems with inverts. Fish only would be ok.
That is correct. Don't throw it away, but inverts are out of the question for at least a year.

scubadoo

The rock absorbed the copper and there is NO timeline as to when it will stop leaching back into your system. Prolonged exposure to copper for some fish is not good...even at low levels. Just a minor trace is dealy for corals/inverts.
I am not familiar with copper power....but I question how it could remove copper absrobed by your live rock.

ridomart

I used copper 4 mo ago & still have copper in my tank, it's in the silicone,sand,ect. Try to put a snail in & see how long he lives.I'm scraping my tank,using it for a hospital tank.

theirr

I don't plan on having anything but fish. I measure no copper for 2 months now. In your opinion, will the LR live on? Thanks!
Also, These solid looking LR that look like they were dug out of the ground - they are not porus - are those worthless compared to the porus LR? Thanks again!

fishnerd

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
The rock absorbed the copper and there is NO timeline as to when it will stop leaching back into your system. Prolonged exposure to copper for some fish is not good...even at low levels. Just a minor trace is dealy for corals/inverts.
I am not familiar with copper power....but I question how it could remove copper absrobed by your live rock.
Just a minor trace is deadly??? Copper IS a trace element. Read the ingredients on any bottle of trace elements.
Copper won't go away by itself, or even thru multiple water changes. Running activated carbon, or an exchange resin, such as Cuprisorb will "trap" the copper as it leaves the calcerous material. One CAN get the copper back down to trace levels within a few months. People who say the copper will never leave the tank are incorrect. Copper needs a medium which has better aDsorbtion powers than CC or LR. Copper in minute quantities is beneficial to marinelife, and when I say minute, I mean <.001ppm (copper as an anti-protozoan is treated at .15 to .20ppm, I am talking about 1/2 of 1% of the dose)

tasha

Don't feel bad TheIrr I also learned the hard way about copper
When I fisrt started in this hobby the friggin lfs told me to add it....and when I read the box it said to "remove" the inverts. Well I removed them thinking that I would be able to put them back well :scared: u CAN'T my poor condi looked like.... :notsure: I don't even know how to describe what he looked like in just a few hours. And well since I have started a new tank and used the already cycled water for a hospital tank. Good luck.....

ridomart

I treated my tank with copper injan,05. When I found out what a mistake it was I added cuprisorb for 2 months & snails still die.When I test for copper it test0 or .1. Its still there & I think it will always be there.If you say it can be removed,do you know first hand?

fishnerd

It takes time. You need constant use of an adsorbtion resin/media (Cuprisorb, carbon, cat & an ions, etc.) The copper is adsorbed (not absorbed) by the calcerous rocks. Over time the copper leaches its way back into the water column. You want your media to "catch" it before it is re-adsorbed into the rocks.
If fresh resin/media is constantly kept in the filter or sump you will see the levels going down to near zero in app. 5-6 months.

scubadoo

Yes, it is adsorbed not absorbed...my bad....by trace I meant any amount detected by a copper test kit. Any detectable amount of copper remaining in a system can be harmful.
You may also wish to consider Polyfilter. I beleive it turns blue as it removes copper so you know it is doing the job. I am not certain if it will cease to turn blue if any trace amount (detected via a test kit) remains. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer for additional info. should you decise to consder using this product.
Remember if you go the activated carbon route it most be changed weekly IMO.
I am unaware of any magic timeline when one can say with cetainty that all the copper adsorbed by you live rock and/or substrate has been removed. It is only after an extended period (one you feel comfortable with) of testing with no tracable amount of copper can one feel somewhat assured that all the copper has leached back into the water and has been subsequently removed.
Thanks for correcting by faux pas
JMO
Best of Luck