live rock changing color

waterlogged

The tops of my live rock that face the light are starting to change color because of algae(It is not hair algae). Is there anyone on the clean up crew that takes care of it or what do you do for it? Do you take out the rock and scrub it?
I use RO/DI water and it has 0 TDS. I have no diatoms on sand. I run PC lights 7 hours a day. I do a 10g water change every 5 days on a 125g tank.

waterlogged

Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
http:///forum/post/2497987
What are your water parameters?
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Alkalinity(kh) 200
ph 8.2
temp. 79
sg 1.024
IO salt
RO/DI water with 0 TDS
I do not have a large algae problem but over the months the color of the top of the live rock has changed color where the lights shine on it.

morval

how long has the rock been in the tank? it may be green coraline which will begin to turn pink or purple soon

R

rcreations

It is probably green coraline. My rock started out with green coraline, then it slowly turned purple over time. There's no snail or cleanup crew that will remove green coraline. Just leave it alone, it's the natural progress.

horsin1963

does it look anything like what I have attached it the picture? if it does then your rock cycled. Did you puy new lighting on or start to add any chemicals like purple up? both of which well cause your rock to cycle. if it is new lighting on the tank this is normal. I had went from a 10k bulb to a 18 k adding alot of purple up my rock turned from purple to blue gray to almost white now they are green I hope in a few weeks all the new rock will be nice and purple.... good luck