Live Rock Curing

fnksterr

how important is it to cure live rock once you receive it whether it has been previously done or not

chris57

very important if you put uncured live rock in a tank with live animals it could kill them when the ammonia spikes.

xdave

LR may be carrying fish parasites as well so I wouldn't put in in my system for 2 weeks anyway.

N

nereef

Originally Posted by fnksterr
how important is it to cure live rock once you receive it whether it has been previously done or not
if you recieve the rock in the mail, then it is important to cure it again. this is because there will be some die-off on the rock as it is shipped. this can take another 3-4 weeks. also, as previously stated, leaving it in a fishless environment for a couple weeks will decrease the chance of a pathogen entering the tank.

fnksterr

if you get it straight from the wholesaler, wouldn't it have already been cured by them or should it be cured again, reguardless. if so, what is the best way to do that?

aw2x3

Even shipped straight from a wholesaler...cure it. In just 24 hours, you can considerable die off, on the rock. Put that directly into your tank and it's a disaster waiting to happen.
I just got close to 70lb of rock last week, that was supposed to be cured. Instead of putting it directly into the tank, I set up another tank just to check it. The ammonia was so high it wouldnt even register on my test card.
Here's how I'm curing mine...
100gal. Rubbermaid, being lit by a 400W Pendant with a 20K XM bulb. A Little Giant pump is providing circulation and I'm just doing water changes. Another week or so and it should be ready to go into my display.

N

nereef

nice setup, aw. how many gph does that little giant run?

chris57

i make my own live rock sort of like agrocrete but instead of sand it has crused oyter shells in it i don't put in the tank until it grows alot of coarlline agae on it and it looks like real live rock i use a few pounds of real live rock to turn agrocrete into live rock i always check the amonia, ph, copper, nitrate, and nitrite levels in the tank and watch the levels closely for 3 weeks before i put it in the display tank.

fishrule

Originally Posted by AW2x3
Even shipped straight from a wholesaler...cure it. In just 24 hours, you can considerable die off, on the rock. Put that directly into your tank and it's a disaster waiting to happen.
I just got close to 70lb of rock last week, that was supposed to be cured. Instead of putting it directly into the tank, I set up another tank just to check it. The ammonia was so high it wouldnt even register on my test card.
Here's how I'm curing mine...
100gal. Rubbermaid, being lit by a 400W Pendant with a 20K XM bulb. A Little Giant pump is providing circulation and I'm just doing water changes. Another week or so and it should be ready to go into my display.

I like this setup... How much did this cost you? (Including the Light) I want to set up Four or more bins like this...

aw2x3

I'm borrowing the light from my buddy, who owns a fish store.
The Little Giant pushes roughly 1200gph, if I remember correctly...I cant recall the exact model number. I got it from a fellow hobbiest, over on --, for like $70. The Rubbermaid cost me $60 and I had the Spa-Flex tubing laying around.

xdave

I used to do mine in garbage cans. I put the rock in plastic milk crates and stack them in the cans. I had a PH near the surface with a hose on the outlet to the bottom. I cut the bottom off of a 2 liter pepsi bottle and rubberbanded a net to it to grag the slimey stuff. I leave it in for 2 weeks or until it stopps producing die off, whichever came last.