Live rock dying ?

beefcake

Well I'm one week since I've added my live rock and I've noticed that some of my rock is turning black on me. When I first received the rock it was pretty purple and red, hardly any dark areas. Now It seems to be spreading. Is this corraline die off or something ? I'm cycling my tank now and I've been told to leave all my lights off to prevent an algae bloom. Is this normal ? :confused:

juddster

Thats some nice looking rock! I believe your getting some die off because of a lack of lighting. I have cycled all my tanks with live rock and always left the lights on. The only fun part of cycling is watching things start to grow on your rocks. I'd lightem up!!:cool:

glenn10

I have been cycling my tank for two weeks now with uncured LR. I've been running my lights for 7 hours per day. I would rather have an algae bloom than loose all of the good things on my rock. If I get a bloom, I will add a clean up crew.

beefcake

Did you have any algae problems at all? I'm using calurpa in my fuge so I would think that would help prevent a bloom. Maybe I'll switch the light on.

glenn10

My ammonia is now 1.0 which I consider good at this stage. The only problem I am having is that I have chicken liver sponges and they've changed color from brown to white. All else appears to be ok.