live rock filter

camanuch

i am building a 50 gal corner tank. if i put 100lbs+ LR will be a good enough filter. i want to put a fuge in the base but space is very limited. i will also be adding about 80lbs live sand or what ever gives me an even 1inch SB. or do you have to have a hob filter system or some kind of mechanical filter?

mcbdz

If you have your flo at least 15-20x your Gallons and flowing through your lr good, and a prtein skimmer the you should be good. I like a mech. filter to add chemical fitration and help pick up large particals in water. I t will also depend on your bio load and cuc I think.

Good luck

camanuch

space is very limited under my stand. i was wondering if anyone can recomend any good hob filter systems. under will be a protein skimmer in a sump by itself with a termostat.

mr_x

if you are putting 100 pounds of live rock in the tank, and that amount isn't leaving alot of "dead spots" where there is no water movement, plus a skimmer, you won't need any other filtration. that depends on your idea of a reasonable bio load too.
i'm against mechanical filtration, other than a filter sock, or something else that's super easy to change out/clean.

camanuch

I'm putting 3 koralia #4's. 2 in front and one behind LR. That should be enough, right? As for a skimmer any recomendations. Will be in a small sump under the stand.

T

tizzo

Well, here's three...
I truly do not understand the point of the canister filter, nor have I ever owned one. To trap food and fish poop so that it sits and rots in your water column for 3 months til you clean the pads? I just don't get it.
But as Mr X says about the sock, if you clean it often it's a good idea, and definately a protein skimmer. That literally removes the crap from the water, not just corrals it.
But your LR, IS the best means of filtration.

mr_x

how small of a sump? what footprint skimmer can you fit in there? how much clearance under the stand?
what do you want to spend on a skimmer?
a couple that come to mind are the ASM G1x, and the euro-reef rs80.

camanuch

sorry i havent gotten back to you but plans changed. im going with a 30 gal. tank. i have decided on doing 60lbs of LR and 20lbs or LS to start. i ordered my hob skimmer and my power heads. 2 koralia #1's thats 800gph plus my hob filter. as for a sump i will be designing one so it is endless the possibility of size as for the stand room this is what i got it is
11w X 21L (thats the door opening) X 21H.
any suggestiond on sump. once it is built i will be putting it all in sump/fuge. skimmer ,etc.