Live rock freshwater

bayreefer

Ok, so this is actually a freshwater question, sort of.
I want to start up a freshwater tank along with my salt and I was wondering if using some old base rock, that was live at one point, would be ok to put in it.
Im sorry in advance if this is a really stupid question

flower

No such thing as a stupid question.
UMM..no you can't use anythng from a saltwater tank and put it in a freshwater one. The rocks we use in saltwater release calcium and it isn't healthy for freshwater fish. This is also why we don't use pieces of dead coral skeleton, and reef rock has the same base, I believe.
I could be wrong so lets wait for others to chime in and see what they say.

2quills

I've got some pieces of old live rock in my cichlid tank. LFS owner (who I trust) told me it would be no problem and it actually helps keep the pH up. That was about a year ago and my pH has always remained stable at 8.2-8.3 (which is what you want if you have african cichlids). Haven't had any problems and my fish are as healthy as can be. However this probably depends on what kind of fish you plan on stocking your tank with. Some may not be as tolerant of ph at these levels.
Keep in mind that the rock that I used had been dead and sitting dried out in my friends garage for about 2 years before I used it. I also rinsed it out in a bucket full of tank water from the tank that I put it into and let it soak for a few days.

flower

Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///forum/post/3272080
I've got some pieces of old live rock in my cichlid tank. LFS owner (who I trust) told me it would be no problem and it actually helps keep the pH up. That was about a year ago and my pH has always remained stable at 8.2-8.3 (which is what you want if you have african cichlids). Haven't had any problems and my fish are as healthy as can be. However this probably depends on what kind of fish you plan on stocking your tank with. Some may not be as tolerant of ph at these levels.
Keep in mind that the rock that I used had been dead and sitting dried out in my friends garage for about 2 years before I used it. I also rinsed it out in a bucket full of tank water from the tank that I put it into and let it soak for a few days.

Then I am correct it releases calcium, that's why the PH stays so high in your tank. Most freshwater fish require 7.8 PH.

bayreefer

I actually am going to use it for chiclids, so I guess it works out :)
My old live rock is only about two weeks out of the tank, does that mean I cant use it? What if I soaked in fresh water for a few days, could I use it then?

2quills

How much rock is it and what size tank is it going into?
I have about 15 lbs in a 55G tank. The rest of my rock in the tank is black slate that I've stacked up in a way that it has lots of tunnels that they can swim in and out of and hide in. Make sure that any rock that you put in there is setting directly on top of some egg crate or right on the bottom itself (I recommend egg crate to help dispurse the weight of the rock). Cichlids WILL dig up your subtrate and destableize your rockwork if you don't.
As far as the rock goes though, I think you will be fine if u soak it for a couple of days. Just keep an eye on your water perameters. If your pH goes out of wack just take it out and or adjust with buffers accordingly.
Appologies if this is off topic from saltwater as this is a saltwater site. Just trying to help. :)

srfisher17

SW live rock, base rock, etc., is limestone. It will be OK with African Cichlids; but will make your water much too hard for South American cichlids---or almost any other FW fish. The same is true for SW substrates.