Live Rock from saltwaterfish.com

iamunei

I'm a newbie and I am planning on buying some live rock from saltwaterfish.com for my 29 gal. I know that you have to cure the rock some before putting it into the tank, but I am not real sure on how to do this the correct way. Could somebody help a beginner out?

crabsrkewl

Originally Posted by IamUnei
I'm a newbie and I am planning on buying some live rock from saltwaterfish.com for my 29 gal. I know that you have to cure the rock some before putting it into the tank, but I am not real sure on how to do this the correct way. Could somebody help a beginner out?

You have to cure LR from saltwaterfish.com? :scared: :scared: :scared:

stanlalee

Originally Posted by crabsrkewl
You have to cure LR from saltwaterfish.com? :scared: :scared: :scared:
or anywhere else unless you pull it out their curing tank yourself. only acception would be if it were shipped submerged overnight which would cost an arm and leg in water weight.

nano_nut

If you are starting a new tank with no animals, you will just put the rock into your tank with plenty of water flow, and just let the cycle begin.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by IamUnei
What if the tank has already cycled and there are fish in the tank?
you have to cure it in a seperate tub or tank. I cheap plastic bin will suffice. all you'll need is some form of water aeration (powerhead or airstone) and heater. cycle it the same way you did the tank except you'll do water changes more frequently to minimize the ammonia spike from harming the live creatures. when ammonia and nitrites stabilize at zero its cured. for rock thats really precured like saltwaterfish rock claims to be it really shouldn't take long at all to cure from 2 day shipping. Perhaps a few weeks.

lorab

hey, i'm also a new-bie and not a very patient person. I started my tank with CC and decorator rock. I had six fish in my tank. In one day, I took out all my CC and replaced it with packaged LS from this site. The next day, I took out all the decorator rock and replaced it with the LR from this site. No acclimation, no curing, no QT tank, nothing. The fish are doing great! No deaths or anything. I just added a reef package and everyone is doing fine (except the shrimp) for some reason, no matter what I do, I can't keep shrimp alive more than a couple hours, even after acclimating them properly. So, it can be done.

C

cotti

Originally Posted by LoraB
hey, i'm also a new-bie and not a very patient person. I started my tank with CC and decorator rock. I had six fish in my tank. In one day, I took out all my CC and replaced it with packaged LS from this site. The next day, I took out all the decorator rock and replaced it with the LR from this site. No acclimation, no curing, no QT tank, nothing. The fish are doing great! No deaths or anything. I just added a reef package and everyone is doing fine (except the shrimp) for some reason, no matter what I do, I can't keep shrimp alive more than a couple hours, even after acclimating them properly. So, it can be done.

same problem, anyone got some suggestions....one thing the lfs told me was to NOT drop them in and let them float down, rather hold them in ur hand and take them to the bottome and release there...they said dropping them puts them in shock and they'll die...but mine keep dieing within 24 hrs of purchase.... :notsure:

M

mopardwh

Originally Posted by LoraB
Sounds like you just got lucky. I've heard of several bad things from uncured LR. I buy mine from the lfs and it is cured already, so I haven't had that problem.
Originally Posted by cotti

same problem, anyone got some suggestions....one thing the lfs told me was to NOT drop them in and let them float down, rather hold them in ur hand and take them to the bottome and release there...they said dropping them puts them in shock and they'll die...but mine keep dieing within 24 hrs of purchase....
Are we talking about shrimp? Well they swim so dropping them in, placing them in... makes no difference. Just use "the drip method" to acclimate them for 2 hours and you should be fine. Inverts are generally not as hardy as fish, and take more time to acclimate.

lorab

Are we talking about shrimp? Well they swim so dropping them in, placing them in... makes no difference. Just use "the drip method" to acclimate them for 2 hours and you should be fine. Inverts are generally not as hardy as fish, and take more time to acclimate.
Yes, we are talking about shrimp. I did acclimate them (always do) using this site's acclimation method.. but I can't get them to live. I find their rotting bodies on the sand floor the next morning or stuck to the filter(s). Gross! I know it's dead because it is opaque in color and it stinks to high heaven! I don't think a molt would stink and the color should be translucent. My water parameters are fine... snails and crabs are doing great (bought at same time). This is my second attempt at shrimp... but it ends the same way.
Anyone out there that might have any ideas about what could be going on?