Live Rock. How old is too old?

goldberg33

I have been doing some searchin on the net and found someone who is breaking down their tank and wants to sell me his LR. The only thing that made me a little nervous was that he said it was 8 years old. Does LR ever go bad? Would this be a good buy?

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by goldberg33
http:///forum/post/2943128
I have been doing some searchin on the net and found someone who is breaking down their tank and wants to sell me his LR. The only thing that made me a little nervous was that he said it was 8 years old. Does LR ever go bad?No Would this be a good buy?Yes

K

k1sully

live rock does not go bad. as long as it has been in saltwater the whole time and make sure to ask if it was ever treated with any medications, stay away if it has been in contact with copper based meds

devil dog

Originally Posted by k1sully
http:///forum/post/2943215
live rock does not go bad. as long as it has been in saltwater the whole time and make sure to ask if it was ever treated with any medications, stay away if it has been in contact with copper based meds
+1

anonome

"Old" live rock is awesome, as long as it clean......look it over really good to be sure you don't see any aiptasia, majano, etc pests on it. Sometimes if something is too good to be true it just isn't. If it is coralline encrusted, and free of pests than pull out our wallet super fast!!

spanko

I would at this point hazard a guess that the rock we purchase at the LFS or the internet site would certainly be older that 8 years old.
That said, with the amount of information offered by the gentleman in this picture, and accepted by the members of this site, can anything really be too old?

florida joe

That said, with the amount of information offered by the gentleman in this picture, and accepted by the members of this site, can anything really be too old?
UMMMMMM no I quess not