Live Rock-Looking Better?

vpotts28

Here is some of my live rock. The tank has been up and running for two months now. Some of the coralline bleached out when first introduced to the tank, and through the cycle. Does this look ok now?

earlybird

Two months? Looks great do you have a clean up crew? My rock has some dead algae all over it that won't let go even in the current. Can't wait to get my cleaners in.

reefkprz

looks good, I see lots of little coraline spotting it wont be long untill the rocks are really nice looking.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by earlybird
Two months? Looks great do you have a clean up crew? My rock has some dead algae all over it that won't let go even in the current. Can't wait to get my cleaners in.

I have 50+ various snails/crabs. Wait till you aim a ph at that dead algae that stuff will be all over the place.

earlybird

Originally Posted by Vpotts28
I have 50+ various snails/crabs. Wait till you aim a ph that stuff will be all over the place.
No kidding, I've moved my ph around some and I've seen this first hand. I'll wait until my tank cycles and let the cleaners do the work for me.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
looks good, I see lots of little coraline spotting it wont be long untill the rocks are really nice looking.

I was starting to get worried about it. But within the last two weeks, the white bleach has really came back and the greens and reds have really started going crazy. I am amazed everyday I come home some more has grown or come back.

vpotts28

No kidding, I've moved my ph around some and I've seen this first hand. I'll wait until my tank cycles and let the cleaners do the work for me.

You have a great set up going their Early. You cleaned your rock alot better than I did, I didn't take that much time. I was impatient, and didn't do it as good as I should have, I was to uneducated about the process. You have to research and read, read, read. I wish I was as ready as you were. You did it right

earlybird

You have a great set up going their Early. You cleaned your rock alot better than I did, I didn't take that much time. I was impatient, and didn't do it as good as I should have, I was to uneducated about the process. You have to research and read, read, read. I wish I was as ready as you were. You did it right

Thanks. I feel like a re re when trying to put what I've learned to use. Slow and steady. I'm really enjoying my tank even during the cycle. You are doing really well. What kind of sand did you use?

vpotts28

Thanks. I feel like a re re when trying to put what I've learned to use. Slow and steady. I'm really enjoying my tank even during the cycle. You are doing really well. What kind of sand did you use?

I am glad I pursued this hobby. I enjoy everything about it. Even if I am watching tv now, it is the discovery channel or animal planet trying to find something about marine life. Even though some of it stresses you out, the stress relief you get from just watching some of this life far outweighs it.
I just used 40lbs of aragonite sand.

vpotts28

Lots of work that's for sure. Stress, yes at times thank god we have this forum.

No kidding, without this forum, I wouldn't have known where to start. We would have to rely on the LFS, and the tank would have crashed 3x over if we had to listen to them.

weber518

what causes the corralne algae to bleach out (white) ? I noticed spots in my tank as well, although i do have alot of new purple algae starting. Thank You.

pkreker

I'm in research mode, too...
Can someone explain what is meant by "you cleaned your rock alot better than I did"???
Was I supposed to clean my live rock???

Kim

earlybird

Originally Posted by pkreker
I'm in research mode, too...
Can someone explain what is meant by "you cleaned your rock alot better than I did"???
Was I supposed to clean my live rock???

Kim
I shook the crap out of it in a tub of premixed water before I added the rock to my tank. As I added it I removed some of the larger dieoff and shook it again in a bucket of premixed water.

earlybird

Originally Posted by WEBER518
what causes the corralne algae to bleach out (white) ? I noticed spots in my tank as well, although i do have alot of new purple algae starting. Thank You.
Light.
Coraline needs little light to grow and has to adjust to new lighting conditions.

weber518

earlybird,
so what do u recommend for lighting ? 5-6 hours, 6-7 hours ??? I do approx 6-7 hours now, i do see new algae growing and it looks like it is going to be very nice once it comes in. Thanks for the response.

earlybird

Do a search on coraline so you can be more informed. I'm aiming, for a 10 hour photoperiod when I'm done cycling. I may increase it to 11 but I'm going to work my way up to 10 and see how it goes. Coraline needs above all good calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels.
My tank is cycling right now and I have the lights on for 8 hours.