Live Rock New Tank

highlander

I just set up my new tank. I would like to add live rock. Should this be done before I introduce my first fish and do I have to change the type of light that came with the tank?
Thank you.

wla1610

Place the rock in before you add your fish. You want to get any cycle done first before you add your fish. Live rock can cause a mini cycle if you have any die off.

highlander

One more quick question if I may. Should I add the product "cycle" to the water before adding the live rock?

wla1610

I'm not the best person to ask about the live rock. You want to make sure you have I believe about 1.5 lb per gallon in your tank. You shouldn't need to add cycle.
To cycle your tank you need to get a uncooked raw shrimp and drop it into the tank. If you look around there is alot of information on setting up your new tank. A full cycle of the tank could take up to around 2 months.
Some tanks will cycle quicker than others.
I hope someone else will reply, or you might need to just ask a better question on getting your tank going. I learned alot from these message boards and you will too.

highlander

Thanks again WLA. The saving grace here is that my little local shop is great. They helped me with my fresh water tank years ago and have always been a big help. Anyway thanks and I will just have faith in my local shop

wla1610

You siad your doing a new tank right? You should also go buy a raw uncooked shrimp and drop it in the tank to cycle your tank. :)

airforceb2

Welcome to the boards!!!
If they are selling you "cycle" they aren't very helpful. That stuff is a crock of crap. LR and a $0.05 cocktail shrimp is all you need to cycle. There is a HUGE difference between fresh and salt water. You can add a fish to a freshwater tank the day you set it up. You have to wait 6 weeks with salt water. As for the LR, I would get Marshall Island if you can. It is the best IMO. The rule of thumb is 1-2 lbs per gallon but it all depends on what kind of rock you get. With MI, you can get 1 lb per gallon and be set. If you get Tonga or Figi, you will need more as the rock is more dense.
Also, make sure you get a nice skimmer as it will be your secondary means of filtration after live rock.

blue oasis

Like you I had a freshwater tank for about 10 years, and my children asked me about starting a saltwater tank. I went out and did some homework and with your fellow members in this room helped me out on many issues. I did find a web site called exoticfish.com to purchse LR. I really liked how the deep sea Tonga rock looked and they also sell Marshall and Fiji. I think I am going to mix some rock up such as Tonga & Marshall or Tonga & Fiji. I have a 90gal and was advised i will 100lbs of LR and 100lbs of LS.

highlander

Sorry it took so long to say thank you for the help. I went to town and picked some live rock. They even through in a bunch of smaller pieces, no charge. I didnt need much do to the other rock in the tank. All I can say is that the tank looks more natural now. I am not much of a computer guy but I will continue to check in and read all the great information here. Thanks again.