Live rock not alive???

kandr

I've had my tank set up with damsels for 5 weeks now. I must be close to completing that cycle. Still waiting on the amonia to go down.
Recently I bought some live rock for use in a sump/refiugm I made. The problem is, I don't see anything live on the live rock, and it has been over a week since I put it in the tank.
Is it possible that I bought live rock that had been left out too long, or is not seeing life right away normal?

surfnturf

As long as you see some corraline algae (pink, purple, etc) on the rock everything is fine. The rock does go through a die off period, where things disappear from the rock, but most goes dormant and will eventually return. Give it time and plenty of light.

hnf2k

i didn't notice anything on my live rock until my cycle completed, i guess my levels were too toxic. just wait your cycle out and im sure you will start to see stuff growing on it. as long as all your rock is white as walls im sure you will be fine.

surfnturf

I've never seen live rock "white as walls" The more initial color the better, but give it time and like HNF2K said, eveything will be fine.

mr . salty

It's not actually the pretty stuff you see that makes live rock "live".But rather the bacteria that is living inside it that makes it "live"...The extra stuff growing on the outside of the rock is what makes the diference between GOOD live rock,and plain ole live rock...

broomer5

Is it possible that I bought live rock that had been left out too long, or is not seeing life right away normal?
The answers are:
yes,
no,
maybe,
It all depends - no one can say for sure unless they have the live rock in their tanks - and are commenting on THAT live rock.
I can't say what will happen to live rock in your tank or any other person's tank - no way - too many variables and way too many types of live rock.

On the subject of LR- Does lighting speed up growth?? I have nothing in my tank but LR, so should I leave the lights on?? (that might have been a DUMB question!!) Let me know...

mr . salty

Keeping the lights on for 8-10 hours a day sure couldn't hurt...Also check your calcium level.This can be done easily with a calcium test kit.It should be around 450-500.If it's low get some calcium addative.Also,if your live rock is void of coraline,you should buy at least one or two GOOD pieces,with lot's of color and growth on it, and put it in your tank...Put these good rocks so a powerhead blows over them.This will aid in spreading the spores to the rest of your rock...

B

bobby & kari

my rock is all very purple and pink i use aragamilk made by caribsea its full of calcium caebonate strontium magnesium and potassium it seemes to work great for me great