Live Rock or Life Rock

2quills

For the price it seems pretty competitive vs the non painted reef rock that is also harvested from dry ancient sea beds.

Haven't tried it personally but I did try a brand of the man made live rock that was similarly painted and it never would grow actual coraline on it.

But don't get me wrong. I think the man made stuff using concrete is junk and wouldn't buy it again. But this stuff and a few other new brands of similar, touched up real dry rock would be a far better choice than the concrete stuff if I were to try something like it again.

At least this stuff retains a lot of its pourosity so it can have more bacteria and life in it.

florida joe

First lets understand that the rock is not live its what is live on it and inhabiting the rock that makes it live

jay0705

I do have prob 100lbs of life rock. I like it bc its preset shapes. I like the branch myself for aquascaping that said, its not live rock. To start a new tank or feed inhabitants get true cured live rock

That's what I'm worried about starting a new tank, I'm guessing I'm better off with live rock for the cycling. I actually found some Fugi live rock at a decent price

jay0705

Supposedly, its infused with dormant bacteria. Once placed in water it awakens the bacteria. Lfs owner who sells it told me this lol.
Nice stuff bc you can get it in standard sizes and shapes. Its not the same as live rock tho

2quills

Yep and according to one of their reps it's not even the type of bacteria that cycles aquariums. lol what?

I guess that gives them what they need to call it "life rock" so it's all good.

Looks nice though.

jay0705

Lol anything to sell something. Honestly its nice for aquascaping but only in addition to true live rock.

luvmyreef

just looking for some opinions on life rock.
Well, having been in the hobby for many years I can give my honest opinion on this. I have used live rock before and I am currently using life rock in my nano. I really like it. It has beautiful coloration and shapes. It is easily aquascaped. And the best part is......it is pest free. I used life rock with live sand for the initial start of the tank and everything went fine. It is also cheaper than real live rock. It is a nice alternative and It keeps the real stuff in the oceans from being harvested. :)