Live Rock Pricing Reasonable?

jmick

I'd be willing to bet that if you are buying from a local shop and buy at least 50lbs they will sell at a discount.

tacoma38

no!!!buy online,just like your lfs does.guess what,they buy theres online too.We dont need to help them stick us as deep as they do.Buy you fish from this site.no i dont work for this site.Be sure to get overnight.

catawaba

Take a good look at it. And smell it!
It should have some coralline algae, worms, bugs, etc....and should smell fresh and clean. It should, IMO, have interesting shapes and be 'light' for it's size. You don't want to spend money on a brick do ya?

Originally Posted by wax32
If you buy online, it isn't "cured".
Exactly I am too lazy to cure it myself. Ill pay the extra dollar or so to buy cured.

Originally Posted by Jmick
I'd be willing to bet that if you are buying from a local shop and buy at least 50lbs they will sell at a discount.
About how much LR would be good for a 180gallon tank?

Originally Posted by tacoma38
no!!!buy online,just like your lfs does.guess what,they buy theres online too.We dont need to help them stick us as deep as they do.Buy you fish from this site.no i dont work for this site.Be sure to get overnight.
Im going to buy most of my fish from this website definitely. But I think Ill stick to LFS for LR since this sites isnt cured.

Originally Posted by Catawaba
Take a good look at it. And smell it!
It should have some coralline algae, worms, bugs, etc....and should smell fresh and clean. It should, IMO, have interesting shapes and be 'light' for it's size. You don't want to spend money on a brick do ya?
What about bristleworms? are they beneficial or a form destruction I would be buying in my LR lol.

jmick

Originally Posted by MaddestHatter
About how much LR would be good for a 180gallon tank?
It depends on what you want to do with your tank. I am not a fan of tanks that are piled from top to bottom with live rock. I have about 130lbs in my 120 mixed reef (going all sps) and there is a lot of room for my fish to swim and it allows me to get creative with my aquascaping. I have about another 40lbs of rubble in my fuge. I think you'd be fine anywhere from 100lbs to 300lbs and is really dependant on what you want to do with your tank.

Originally Posted by Jmick
It depends on what you want to do with your tank. I am not a fan of tanks that are piled from top to bottom with live rock. I have about 130lbs in my 120 mixed reef (going all sps) and there is a lot of room for my fish to swim and it allows me to get creative with my aquascaping. I have about another 40lbs of rubble in my fuge. I think you'd be fine anywhere from 100lbs to 300lbs and is really dependant on what you want to do with your tank.
Im going to be setting up an aggressive fish only tank. Blue Line Trigger, Snowflake Eel, maybe a wrasse or two, Emperor Angel, not sure what else.

astross89

ONLINE LIVE ROCK- 2.73 A POUND SHIPPED. 100 LBS 5.22 A POUND DIFF. IN PRICE. THATS $522 DOLLARS. I'll CURE IT MY SELF. OH, AND IT WAS GOOD QUALITY ROCK TOO!!

watson3

. But I think Ill stick to LFS for LR since this sites isnt cured.
You also get to pick the pieces you want

Originally Posted by astross89
Is Your Tank A Brand New Set Up Or Older?
New well. it was set up by a guy and he put water in it and then never got around to getting fish, so he took all the water out and now im going to be buying it, possibly.

acrylic51

What about bristleworms? are they beneficial or a form destruction I would be buying in my LR lol.
They can be and are beneficial as long as kept in check.