Live Rock Problem

S

suthrnbel

Can anyone help me...I have a 175 gallon sw and my live rock is covered mainly in brown and green "fur". There are some purple spots but it's been set up since July and I thought it would be a purple reef by now!!

royal gang

Originally Posted by SuthrnBel
Can anyone help me...I have a 175 gallon sw and my live rock is covered mainly in brown and green "fur". There are some purple spots but it's been set up since July and I thought it would be a purple reef by now!!

algae???
:notsure:

autotech

how often do you do water changes you might have a diatom problem do you use rodi water or tap water

S

suthrnbel

Originally Posted by ROYAL GANG
algae???
:notsure:
think its algae, my sailfin tang eats it but its just not purple rock!!

S

suthrnbel

Originally Posted by autotech
how often do you do water changes you might have a diatom problem do you use rodi water or tap water
sorry, have to use tap, i end up addn water every other day or so or it'll blow air. It's drivn me nutz. prty sure i'm a sw idiot

michaeltx

using tap is more than likey feeding the algae that is grwing on your rock.
as far as the purple that will take time there is no such thing as an instant reef. the purple algae takes calcium and good lighting to grow. what lighting do you have on your tank?
when you say you do small water changed every 2 weeks how much of a water change is that?
Mike

S

suthrnbel

re:wtr change 10-15 gal. lightn: purple lights 2hrs before and after my white lights, bright lights for 8hrs in day. :notsure:

michaeltx

what type of lights though. ?
BTW the purple is probably called atinics.
with Normal flourescents you wont get as much purple coraline with higher lighting you will get more as long as the calcium level is sufficent for it to use it to grow.
Mike

S

suthrnbel

dumb question: (feel like most of them r! but i got every bk from the library and still can't seem to absorb the info?) if I ordered a cleanr pkg maybe they could clean the rk . oh also i have a phosphate absorber in the skimmer and have been adding "purpleup" and kent a & b tryn to get the calcium factor going

michaeltx

yes they will help clean up the rock. but until you fix the main problem it will always be there and will get worse over time. The main problem that I can tell by your posts right now is that the tap water is feeding all this algae. I would look into a RO unit there are fairly cheap around $100 or so depending on the makers and models.
Mike

S

suthrnbel

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
what type of lights though. ?
BTW the purple is probably called atinics.
with Normal flourescents you wont get as much purple coraline with higher lighting you will get more as long as the calcium level is sufficent for it to use it to grow.
Mike
sorry i orignly went to huge professional store and saw their tank fell inlove told them I wanted one just like it. pd them to "set meup" and maintain me. for yrs beautiful, tank broke flooded house and they gave me replacement tank but :scared: Ive been tryning for a long time to get it right.

michaeltx

this is the place to be there are alot of helpful people here that will help you out.
The only thing is that you know your system we can only go off what you tell us so be as precise as you can when you have a question. and youll get asked alot of questions ask to get to a conclusion.
now comes for the biggie what can you tell us about your tank set up?
stuff like test readings-lighting-filtration what you have in the tank as far as live stock.
Mike

S

suthrnbel

yes they will help clean up the rock. but until you fix the main problem it will always be there and will get worse over time. The main problem that I can tell by your posts right now is that the tap water is feeding all this algae. I would look into a RO unit there are fairly cheap around $100 or so depending on the makers and models.
Mike
I will start lookn 4 one right away cause we not only have tap but its well water 2. r my lights on too long? One of the "bright whites is more natural then the other and i've been running them at the same time. I guess technly i have 3 types of lights and i run them for a combination of 10 hrs or so. I just bought 3 new timers so that maybe I can change them. I have these balls in a box for filtering and a protein skimmer that i clean once a week and clean the "sponge like " filter out 2xs when i change out water and scrape the back of tank. What else am i missin?

S

suthrnbel

this is the place to be there are alot of helpful people here that will help you out.
The only thing is that you know your system we can only go off what you tell us so be as precise as you can when you have a question. and youll get asked alot of questions ask to get to a conclusion.
now comes for the biggie what can you tell us about your tank set up?
stuff like test readings-lighting-filtration what you have in the tank as far as live stock.
Mike
thanks for ur patience. I hav sailfin tang, green mandarin, some unatractive goby,2 blue damsels, 2blak & white damsels, serpent starfish, 2 emerald crabs, 2 large sw snails

michaeltx

that is where your problem is starting tap water is bad enough but well water is even worse.
the lighting you are on is about right I keep mine on between 7-8 hours most people keep them on closeer to 10 hours a day.
How are you cleaning your bio-balls and sponges?
and what type of lights do you have.
normal flourescent light
High output
Very high output
Power compact
t-5
Metal Halides
Mike

michaeltx

thanks for ur patience
thats the spirit of the site. everyone has been where your at and most all of us have learned lessons the hard way and want to help others from making the same costly mistakes that we made in the past.
Mike

S

suthrnbel

that is where your problem is starting tap water is bad enough but well water is even worse.
the lighting you are on is about right I keep mine on between 7-8 hours most people keep them on closeer to 10 hours a day.
How are you cleaning your bio-balls and sponges?
and what type of lights do you have.
normal flourescent light
High output
Very high output
Power compact
t-5
Metal Halides
Mike
I have the "good ones" i was told halides, i just rinse the sponges over and over until they run clear water and the balls....uh i don't . it does have a blue sponge to it and i've rinsed it some. :thinking:

S

suthrnbel

Originally Posted by katieb
1 suggestion, maybe cutting back on the time the lights are on to help clear it up.

i'd like to keep the "purple" lights on 24/7 if it wouldn't hurt anything