Live Rock Problem

michaeltx

the pruple light is a more visible spectrum so leavin it on is like leaving your lights on in your home 24/7 it will eventually stress the fish out and cause some unwated problems. You can get whats called a LED moonlight that will cast a light in the tank but wont effect the fish like the purple atinic light does
The algae problem is coming from the high nutrients from the water in combination with high intenstity lighting there is no easy fix for it but a RO unit will difenatly help it iwll only take time. also a good variety of clean up crew will also help out.
the balls need to be rinsed out atleast once a month it will ttrap excess food and waste in there and cause nitrate problems that can contribute to algae growth aswell.
Mike

S

suthrnbel

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
the pruple light is a more visible spectrum so leavin it on is like leaving your lights on in your home 24/7 it will eventually stress the fish out and cause some unwated problems. You can get whats called a LED moonlight that will cast a light in the tank but wont effect the fish like the purple atinic light does
The algae problem is coming from the high nutrients from the water in combination with high intenstity lighting there is no easy fix for it but a RO unit will difenatly help it iwll only take time. also a good variety of clean up crew will also help out.
the balls need to be rinsed out atleast once a month it will ttrap excess food and waste in there and cause nitrate problems that can contribute to algae growth aswell.
Mike
thanx so much for simplifin my problem for me, i'll be shopn 4 an ro 2day and changn some water & rinsing the balls. oh and I'll look 4 the moonlight and order the cleaning crew. I'll be back for more tips

1fast300z

go to petsolutions.com they carry nice L.E.D. lunar lights for around 15 dollars that can be put in or out of the aquarium.