Live rock Qs

hondotech

Currently have a 55 gal tank with maybe 10 lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand with 3 fish and 4 inverts.
Looking to add 48-50 more pounds of cured live rock.
Am I going to crash my system trying this?
Any pointers or thoughts?

acekjd83

add it slowly... even cured rock needs a little time to adjust to the subtle differences in its new aquarium and may cause fluctuations if added all at once.

nm reef

In a established system I'd add a piece at a time of well cured LR....if possible hand select each piece and insure it is well cured. Or you could buy a large amount and cure it yourself...then slowly add it to your tank. I prefer to hand select individual pieces myself.

hondotech

Was looking at buying it in bulk (i.e. one big 50 lb box), not real sure how I could add it in one piece at a time unless it will keep in the box (materials) it was shipped in.

sato

It generally come sshipped in a cardboard box wrapped in plastic. WHen shipped in bulk it usually isnt cured so adding 50lbs of uncured rock into a tank will mean it will take awhile to cycle because of the amount of organics that are going to be broken down before the tank is ready.
I agree with NM Reef about hand picking each rock on your own from your lfs.
How much would it suck to order a box of 50lbs and end up getting a box with 2 25lb peices?

bdhough

To do something like this youll ahve to get rid of the live stock in your tank for a month. You could set up a rubber maid tub with a mechanical filter or power heads to stir the water and cure the rock in there. But do not buy bulk and add it all at once.

hondotech

Bulk price was around $2.50 per pound. LFS price is somewhere around $5-6 a pound if I remember correctly.
Im thinking I need to find a new LFS. Getting so much conflicting information from them and this forum//website.

clown'in

HELLO EVERYONE
I JUST ORDERED 25LBS FROM THIS WEBSITE AND WHEN IT CAME IT WAS AWSOME THEY WERE JUST THE RIGHT SIZE. ABOUT 4 TO 5 INCH PIECES. SOME WITH HOLES AND IRREGULAR SHAPES. AND I CURED IT IN A SPARE 20 GAL I HAD JUST EMPTIED FOR 2 AND A HALF WEEKS AND JUST ADDED IT TO MY 55 GAL AND IT LOOKS GREAT
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CHOICE:jumping: