live rock question.

shaunda

Can I mix different types of live rock in my saltwater aquarium or do they all have to be from the same area? Any insight would be helpful!

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Mixing is actually a good idea imho. I think it allows for a greater biodiversity.
I agree.

rcdude1990

srry to hi jack but how can u tell if the LR is Cured. like if i wanted to buy LR and my LFS said thers is cured how can i tell just to make sure

1journeyman

Smell it. Does it have a stench? Put it in a tub and check ammonia in the water in 24-72 hours. If there is any ammonia the rock isn't cured.

shaunda

Thanks for the info, now my next question. My tank is already cycled but needs more rock--is it alright to continue to add rock or will this throw my water off? There is so much I wish I would have known before I started and now trying to fix mistakes. I have a 125 gallon tank and only have about 10 pds of rock in there. I realize I need to about about 100 pds of rock but have to do it slowly due to costs. I also want to know if I need to wait to add fish until I have all 100 pd of rock in place.

rcdude1990

yea but its at the LFS in a show case lol i dont think they will let me take an ammonia test
wat about the water in the tank its cloudy and they just added about 200 lbs to sell so i s0=think i might wait like 4-5 weeks and then buy some

1journeyman

Shaunda, as long as the rock is cure you are fine to add it to your tank.
You can cure it yourself in a trash can, rubbermade container, etc. if you need too.
--, I'd think the lfs would be happy to let you do an ammonia test on their tank. If they just added 200Lb then I'd vote it's not cured...

rcdude1990

yea thats wat i thought ok cool i might wait like 3-4 weeks and then ill buy it since ppl here say 25 lbs of LR isnt enough in my 55 lol but ill believe them and mayb get like 10-15 more puns